• TGI Fridays, an international network, opened its 255th restaurant along US 52 in Rochester this week. The new dining space accommodates 190 guests at the tables and in the bar.
• Stewartville High School has been recognized as the state's best for its health and recreation program. The award is awarded by the Minnesota Health, Physical Education, Recreation and Dance Association.
• Rochester received only a few bursts of snow, but 18 inches of snow and winds of 30 miles per hour hit Duluth.
• Olmsted County has an 18-man call for December, according to the Office of Selective Services. The quota is the second highest for 1968.
• Mankato State College is withdrawing from the Northern Intercollegiate Conference and will enter the North Central Conference in 1970-71. 'Kato State Football will enter the conference in 1972.
• Rochester Senior High School presented "What a Life" by Clifford Goldsmith at the Central Auditorium. The play was mostly set in the director's office and many cast members played faculty members. The "make-up" committee did an excellent job.
• "For the world of tomorrow we will have today's students in charge, and they will need all the knowledge and insight the books can give them to build the future with vision and intelligence." The citation repeated by Miss Marion Baker, school librarian serves as the slogan for observing Book Week at Rochester High School.
• In the near future, it will not be lawful for anyone to build a campfire in the narrow Rochester district. For years, companies would burn their trash, but a new gatehouse would end this practice.
• Five weeks of compulsory closing of all theaters in the city caused major financial difficulties. The theatrical administration of the city asked for a refund of the license money for this period of time when the business locations were closed.
Ten years ago: Ayman al-Zawahri, No. 2 al-Qaeda, has criticized Barack Obama as a black American who launches whites in a new message on the Internet aimed at undermining the president-elect's popularity between Arabs and Muslims. The Dow Jones industrial average closed below 8,000 at 7,997.28 – the lowest close since March 2003. Theater and dance critic Clive Barnes died in New York at the age of 81.
Five years ago: Suicide bombers hit the Iranian embassy in Beirut, killing 23 people, including one diplomat, and wounding more than 140 others. The Virginia state senator, Creigh Deeds, was attacked and stabbed several times by his mentally ill adult son, Gus Deeds, who then took his own life. Diane Disney Miller, 79, daughter of Walt Disney and one of her inspirations for the construction of the Disneyland theme park, died in Napa, California. The animated feature from Disney, "Frozen," had its Hollywood premiere.
One year ago: Charles Manson, the hippie cult leader behind the horrific murders of actress Sharon Tate and six others in Los Angeles in 1969, died in a hospital in California at the age of 83, after nearly a half-century of imprisonment. In an announcement that would trigger the impeachment process, Zimbabwean President Robert Mugabe defied calls for resignation and said he would chair a congress of the ruling party in December. State media and a monitoring group in Syria reported that pro-government forces had defeated the Islamic State group in its last major fortress in the country. Longtime country music star Mel Tillis died in Florida at the age of 85. The actress and singer Della Reese died at age 86 at her home in Los Angeles.
Today's Birthdays: Former General Electric presenter Jack Welch is 83 years old. Talk show host Dick Cavett is 82 years old. and Secretary of Human Services Tommy G. Thompson is 77 years old. Stylist Calvin Klein is 76 years old. The sportsman Ahmad Rashad is 69 years old. Actor Robert Beltran is 65 years old. Actress Kathleen Quinlan has 64. Actress Glynnis O & # 39; Connor has 63. Radio journalist Ann Curry is 62. Former NASA astronaut Eileen Collins is 62. Actress Allison Janney is 59 years old. Rocker Matt Sorum (Guns N 'Roses, Velvet Revolver) is 58 years old. Actress Meg Ryan has 57. Actress and director Jodie Foster is 56. Actress Terry Farrell is 55 years old. TV chef Rocco DiSpirito is 52 years old. Actor Jason Scott Lee is 52. Olympic gold medalist Gail Devers is 52. Actress Erika Alexander is 49. Rock musician Travis McNabb has 49. Singer Tony Rich is 47. Actress Sandrine Holt is 46 . singer Jason Albert (Heartland) is 45 years old. Country singer Billy Currington is 45 years old. The dancer and choreographer Savion Glover is 45 years old. Country musician Chad Jeffers is 43 years old. The rhythm and blues singer Tamika Scott (Xscape) is 43 years old. The rhythm and blues singer Lil & Mo is 41. Olympic gold medal Kerri Strug is 41. Actor Reid Scott is 41. Film director Barry Jenkins (film: "Moonlight") is 39. Actress Katherine Kelly is 39 Musician neo-soul Browan Lollar is 36. Actor Adam Driver is 35. Cam singer Cam is 34 Actress Samantha Futerman is 31 years old. Rapper Tyga is 29 years old.