E-cigarettes have increased in the last five years. Many have got the impression that they are a safer alternative to cigarettes, but this may not be entirely true. According to NBC, the chin of a 17-year-old boy was broken after an incident with an electronic cigarette.


Matt Cardy / Getty Images

Austin Adams asked his mother to buy the device while trying to replace tobacco products with electronic cigarettes. As he wore it, the electronic cigarette exploded and knocked over several teeth and broke his jaw. His mother explained that the family lives in rural Nevada was forced to drive five hours to the nearest hospital that could treat his injury. "This child had a lesion on the upper jaw, plus lip burns," said Dr. Katie Russell, one of the trauma surgeons who treated Adams. "He did not remember doing anything wrong with the device beforehand, and it just exploded."

Last week, the FDA finalized a new orientation for tobacco and e-cigarette manufacturers, suggesting that companies provide details on the batteries they use for fear of overheating. The FDA said that e-cigarettes explode when the lithium-ion battery inside the pen overheats.

Dr. Jonathan Skirko, a pediatric nose and throat surgeon who helped Adams, said the blast ripped through the boy's gums. "The type of tissue was vaporized," said Skirko.