Cleveland Browns star Myles Garrett made a precedent-based plea on Wednesday during his suspension appeal hearing, citing the NFL punishment of a former Houston Texans player in 2013, a source told ESPN Dan Graziano. .
Five days after being suspended indefinitely for pulling off Pittsburgh Steelers quarterback Mason Rudolph's helmet and slapping his head, Garrett and the NFLPA met with league officials on Wednesday morning in New York .
Garrett and the NFLPA have alleged, the source told Graziano, that the worst punishment any player received for a similar incident was Antonio Smith of Houston, who was suspended in 2013 for two preseason games and one regular season game for swing the helmet on then Dolphins. Richie Incognito striker.
The NFL has suspended Garrett for the remainder of this season, including possible post-season games, and announced last Friday that he will have to meet with the commissioner's office before being reinstated in 2020.
Garrett argued that six games – the remainder of the regular season – are excessive under the precedent set by Smith's suspension, especially since Smith missed only one game test, as players are not paid for preseason games, the source said. to Graziano.
Garrett and the NFLPA also argued that an indefinite suspension is not allowed under the league's collective agreement, according to the source.
Meanwhile, a representative of the Steelers joined Maurkice Pouncey's appeal hearing by telephone on Tuesday in support of the center, which was suspended for three games.
A source tells Graziano that the Steelers believe Pouncey has been banned for three games to prevent him from playing in the 13th week rematch against the Browns.
According to Graziano, Pouncey's team claims that no other field fight in NFL history has resulted in a suspension for more than one game, which would be an appropriate punishment.
Even reduced from three games to two on appeal, Pouncey's suspension would continue in Steelers' second game against Browns.
Garrett's hearing began at 9:30 am ET on Wednesday, and the end of the Pro Bowl was seen leaving less than two hours later. A source told ESPN Dianna Russini that the NFL wants to make a decision on Garrett's appeal quickly.
Browns coach Freddie Kitchens reiterated his support for Garrett on Wednesday but acknowledged that the team has no "control" over whether the league reduces its suspension.
"We can't control this … Let's just control what we can control," said Kitchens. "We have nothing to do with it. Myles has a great representation, but more importantly, Myles will perform well."
Rudolph called Garrett's actions "bush league" and "cowardly" during his post-game press conference after Pittsburgh's 21-7 defeat to Cleveland last Thursday night.
But the sophomore quarterback said Wednesday that he regretted his role in the fight, saying "he should have done a better job dealing with this situation."
"I have no ill will towards Myles Garrett," said Rudolph, who has not been suspended but is expected to be fined. "Great respect for his skill as a player. And I know that if Myles could come back, he would handle the situation differently.
"As for my involvement last week, there is no acceptable excuse. The bottom line is that I should have done a better job keeping my composure in this situation and [not] fall short of what I believe it means to be a Pittsburgh Steeler and an NFL member. "