Former Underground Weather radical Judith Clark will soon be a free woman.
The New York Probation Board granted early release to Clark, who drove the escape car in Brink's infamous robbery on October 20, 1981 in Rockland County, in which two state police and a security guard were killed.
The three victims were police officers Edward O'Grady and Waverly Brown of the Nyack Police Department and security guard Peter Paige.
Governor Andrew Cuomo initially granted Clark leniency in 2016, citing his "exceptional advances in self-development" at the Bedford Hills Prison, making him eligible for probation.
But the council rejected his release in 2017.
An activist who led a public campaign for Clark's release applauded the new decision.
"Justice has finally been fulfilled, delayed, but perceived. We hope the release of Judith Clark will open the gates to other women and men who have been largely rehabilitated. Let that be the beginning of a real reform for the Parole Board, "said Allen Roskoff, president of the Jim Owles Liberal Democrat Club.
Without Cuomo's commutation of his 75-year sentence for life, Clark, 69, would not be eligible for probation until 2056.
The board of directors in April 2017 unanimously denied Clark's release from prison.
"We now find that their release at this time is incompatible with the welfare of society … You are a symbol of violent crime and terrorist," said Parole Council members Tina Standford, Kevin Ludlow and Sally Thompson in the ruling .
They also noted that Clark had a criminal record of aggravation, aiding escape, mob action and resisting arrest before his crimes in New York. And she did not repent of her sentence, referring to herself as "at war with America."
But last year, the Parole Board released the gunman Herman Bell, one of three Black Liberation Army terrorists who executed officers Joseph Piagentini and Waverly Jones in 1971.
Clark was convicted of second-degree murder and first-degree robbery in Rockland County for driving the escape vehicle in the theft of armored cars.
She received one of the longest sentences of her six defendants, most of whom are dead or no longer in custody.
His only female co-defendant, Kathy Boudin, whose participation in the underlying crime was similar to Clark's, received a minimum sentence of 20 years and was suspended in 2003.
Clark sued the Parole Board in December 2017, after denying his release for a new hearing.
But the appeal courts ruled that she would have to wait for the next scheduled hearing this month.