Adenovirus death at the University of Maryland: Olivia Paregol's parents say the university's health center has not tested adenovirus despite the symptoms


COLLEGE PARK, Maryland – The parents of a student at the University of Maryland who died after contracting adenovirus are talking about mold conditions on campus that they believe contributed to his death. Freshman Olivia Paregol died last week after complaining of flu-like symptoms. His parents, Ian and Meg Paregol, also told CBS News correspondent Jericka Duncan that the university's health center had not tested his daughter adenovirus despite the symptoms and discovery of the first case of the disease the day before Olivia's visit. Health officials say they have identified three new Maryland student cases.

Olivia was diagnosed with Crohn's disease before going to college and took medication, which her father said weakened her immune system. A few weeks after starting school, he says that Olivia began expressing mold concerns at his dorm in Elkton Hall.

"You could see [the mold]. Oh, yes, it was in her shoes … It was at her desk. It was everywhere, "Ian said.

"Yes, it would be collected in your shoes overnight," Meg said.

ctm-1127-olivia-paregol-adenovirus-death.jpg "srcset =" /270x/91a3f94a0f2c26bf8a267d9d932601e1/ctm-1127-olivia-paregol-adenovirus-death.jpg 1x "/></span><figcaption/></figure>
<p>    Kyle Rumsey is among the freshman students who told us that he also found mold in his dorm. <br /><strong><br /></strong>"I would have red eyes when I woke up. I would have a scratched throat," Rumsey said. </p>
<p>    The university said it began receiving "over-the-counter" reports throughout the dormitory, beginning Sept. 16. Five days later, authorities began transferring more than 500 students from Elkton Hall until the teams finished cleaning on Oct. 10. <br /><strong><br /></strong>"There should be more disclosure and transparency about the existence of the mold," Ian said. "It was just kind of erased -" "Oh, let's clean it up." "Do not worry.</p>
<p>That was not the only problem, according to Olivia's parents. </p>
<p>University officials said they learned about the first case of adenovirus on Nov. 1. The next day, Olivia went to the university's health center complaining of difficulty breathing. No one, the Paregols said, tested her for adenovirus.</p>
<p>    "They do not care about that point," Hmmm, that student is immunosuppressed, she has all the symptoms of adenovirus, we had a diagnosis of adenovirus, oh she's alone – we're going to send her home. "</p>
<p>    Olivia ended up being treated at Johns Hopkins Hospital, but <span class=died on November 18. Her parents said the doctors said that if they knew she had adenovirus they would have given her a different treatment – something her parents believe could have saved Olivia's life.

"We cried for days and then we became numb and then we are in disbelief, and it's just – no one should have to do that," Ian said.

They buried their daughter three days ago.

"You can not imagine, you know, having to go and pick a plot for your daughter," Ian said. "This is not how it should work."

"I think she found a real place for herself," Meg said of her daughter studying criminology at the university. "It brings me a lot of comfort, knowing she was finding joy in life."

The University of Maryland said adenovirus-related diseases on campus were detected in both students living on and off campus and among students in affected and non-fungal affected dormitories.

© 2018 CBS Interactive Inc. All rights reserved.


Source link