Doctors at a Detroit hospital performed a double lung transplant on a man whose lungs were damaged by vaping.
No further details of the transplant were released on Monday by the Henry Ford Health System, which scheduled a news conference for Tuesday.
The patient asked his medical staff to share photographs and an update to alert others about vaping.
More than 2,000 Americans who smoke cigarettes have been ill since March, many of them teenagers and young adults and at least 40 people have died.
The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention last week announced a breakthrough in the cause of a vaping disease outbreak, identifying a chemical as a "very strong culprit".
Vitamin E acetate was previously found in electronic cigarette liquids and other vaping devices used by many who became ill and was only recently used as a vaping liquid thickener.
Many who became ill said they had vaporized liquids containing THC, the most inducing part of marijuana.