Fourth race, fourth double victory of the silver arrows. Bottas wins in Baku ahead of Hamilton.
Valtteri Bottas definitely left his Baku trauma last year when he had to give up a puncture just before victory! The Finn of Mercedes wins the Azerbaijan GP ahead of his team-mate Lewis Hamilton and therefore is without the leadership of the British championship (87:86).
Hamilton tries in vain in the later rounds to scare Bottas into his second win of the season. But cool Finn brings him home. The podium finishes Sebastian Vettel at Ferrari.
"That owed me the clue"
Winner Bottas (for the fifth time in 122 races): "It was a hard job. With Lewis on the back, you should not make a mistake. This victory is more than deserved, yes, this track owed me after the drilling in 2018 in clear leadership … »
Teammate Hamilton is a fair loser: "Great race, deserved the victory of Valtteri and a big thank you to the whole team.This works day and night and is getting more hungry.With four double wins at the start, probably no team has managed yet. "Truth, …
Leclerc fun, Kimi the devil
First pushed by route
Ricciardo takes back to Verbremser in Kwyat
Speaking of cool Finn: Kimi Raikkonen, the devil's face at Alfa-Sauber, should start from the pit lane because of an illegal front wing in qualifying. And it still ranks 10th in Baku. Kimi also benefits from the failures of Daniel Ricciardo (accident with Kvyat) and Pierre Gasly (engine failure).
One race worth mentioning is driving former Sauber driver Charles Leclerc in his red Ferrari car. For a long time he leads the race with his average tire before falling back to fifth with his soft tires. As this is established thanks to time, Monegasse goes back to the pits to get fresh rubber – and picks up the extra point with a superb round!
Curious scenes occurred between Ricciardo and Kvyat. Both brakes side by side on the same curve. When Ricciardo restarts, he takes the full Russian pot into the box – backwards! Both have to give up the race. For Renault, it is already the fifth failure in the fourth race. And Hülkenberg in third place in front of the two Williams …
The World Cup booth
- Valtteri Bottas (Fin, Mercedes) 87
- Lewis Hamilton (Gb, Mercedes) 86
- Sebastian Vettel (From, Ferrari) 52
- Max Verstappen (Ho, Red Bull) 51
- Charles Leclerc (Mon, Ferrari) 47
- Sergio Perez (Mex, Racing Point) 13
- Pierre Gasly (Fr, Red Bull) 13
- Kimi Raikkonen (Fin, Alfa-Sauber) 13
- Lando Norris (Gb, McLaren) 12
- Kevin Magnussen (Dan, Haas) 8
- Nico Hulkenberg (From, Renault) 6
- Carlos Sainz Jr. (Sp, McLaren) 6
- Daniel Ricciardo (Aus, Renault) 6
- Spearfight (Ka, Racing Point) 4
- Alexander Albon (Thai, Toro Rosso) 3
- Daniil Kvyat (Rus, Toro Rosso) 1
- Antonio Giovinazzi (Ele, Alfa-Sauber) 0
- Romain Grosjean (Fr, Haas) 0
- George Russell (Gb, Williams) 0
- Robert Kubica (Pol, Williams) 0
- Mercedes 173
- Ferrari 99
- Red Bull 64
- McLaren 18
- Racing Point 17
- Alfa-Sauber 13
- Renault 12
- Haas 8
- Toro Rosso 4
- Williams 0