Nearly killed by a kiss: the baby was struggling for her life because of herpes
In Britain, a one-year-old baby almost died because she had been infected with a herpesviral kiss. The child had to be hospitalized for four days. Parents now warn others to kiss children in their mouths.
The girl had purple rashes everywhere
A one-year-old girl from the town of Darlington in northern England nearly died because she was infected with the herpes virus. At first, the parents did not realize what the child was missing. "Kaylah cried so much, I knew this could only mean that she was in pain," her mother told The Daily Mail. "We were at home and I was about to put her in the tub when I suddenly saw traces on her legs." According to the information, the baby had violent eruptions all over the place. "I was afraid that my first thought was that it had something to do with meningitis because she had it before," her mother said. In the hospital, however, it was discovered that the child had been infected with herpes virus.
Two out of three people are infected with herpes virus
Health experts say that two out of three people are infected with the herpes virus.
But most infected people never show symptoms and probably do not know they are infected. Therefore, cold sores are usually transmitted without being noticed.
Viruses are often only active by certain influences, such as stress or strong sunlight, and cause, among other things, herpes in the mouth.
For some people, special care is needed. Adult cold sores should be very careful when in contact with young children.
Because even a kiss from them can end up deadly for babies, as an older US case showed.
Even little Kaylah of England was brought into a life threatening situation.
Infection could have ended fatally
According to the Daily Mail report, hospital doctors found that the painful purple rash on little Kaylah was caused by the herpes simplex virus.
"The doctors told us that someone with a sore should have kissed her lips and, as the baby's immune system is not strong enough, she developed the rash," said the 22-year-old mother.
Her fiance was shocked and "I could not believe it was all because of a kiss."
The girl had to stay in the hospital for four days, where she was treated with antibiotics.
Doctors pointed out that the baby was lucky that the infection could have ended fatally.
"If we had not gone to the hospital quickly, it could be very dangerous if we had lost her," said the young mother.
According to her parents, her daughter has not fully recovered yet. One month after discharge from the clinic, she still has to take medication daily and be taken to the doctor once a week.
Little Kaylah's parents now turn to the public to warn others about the risk.
"I just want other parents to know that you do not have to be physically sick to harm a baby – you can only be a carrier of the virus and still influence it," said the mother.
According to the newspaper's report, the virus can be transmitted to the mother in infants, either by a kiss or in newborns, if she has genital herpes for the first time in the last six weeks of pregnancy.
The risk is significantly reduced if she has it before pregnancy, when it passes the antibodies needed to fight it.
It is not the first time that parents, many of whom have lost their babies, issue the warning that strangers can not kiss babies.
"Please do not kiss other people's babies," said Marian Nicholson of the Herpes Virus Association.
Treat herpes as soon as possible
If the infection is known, adults will be advised by healthcare professionals to treat cold sores as early as possible. But what helps against herpes?
In the normal course, the drugs are usually used to inhibit the multiplication of the virus. The infection does not always have to be treated with antiviral drugs.
Sometimes home remedies for herpes such as manuka honey or tea tree oil. From the outbreak of herpes until the cure can take up to two weeks. (Ad)