Thousands of people all over the world are big fans of coffee, despite the bitter taste of the drink! If a study is to be believed, the more sensitive you are to the bitter taste of caffeine, the more coffee you tend to drink. Logically speaking, a person should want to spit coffee because of bitterness. But the reality is that people love daily doses of espresso. It is because of the stimulation caused by caffeine that this happens. ANI reports researchers saying that coffee consumers acquire a taste or the ability to detect caffeine because of the positive reinforcement learned that caffeine causes. This means that people who have the ability to savor the bitterness of coffee and the distinct taste of caffeine tend to associate good things with it.
The study, published in the scientific journal Scientific Reports, says people who avoided coffee were those who were sensitive to the flavors of quinine and PROP (which is a synthetic taste related to cruciferous plant compounds).
Also read: Are you a coffee lover? Hot Brew Coffee has higher antioxidant levels
Speaking of alcohol, greater sensitivity to the bitterness of PROP resulted in lower consumption of alcohol, particularly red wine. In fact, it is our genetics that tells us about our preference for coffee, tea, alcohol or the perception of bitter tastes.
Following are some of the many reasons to love your coffee:
1. Coffee gives a boost to your energy levels: Coffee helps people feel less tired and increases energy levels. This is because of caffeine – the psychoactive stimulant. Caffeine blocks the inhibitory neurotransmitter in your brain, resulting in a stimulating effect. This can also boost your mood and various other aspects of the brain.
2. Coffee improves physical performance: Caffeine stimulates the nervous system and causes fat cells to break down body fat. It also increases adrenaline levels in the blood, which results in significant improvement in physical performance.
Read also: coffee can extend the life of people with kidney disease
3. Coffee may be good for your liver: Coffee can be good for your liver as long as you do not overdo it on consumption. Make sure you do not drink more than 3 or 4 cups of coffee a day.
4. Coffee helps in burning fat: Coffee helps to burn fat. Several studies have been done that show that coffee can improve your metabolic rate and increase fat burning.
5. Coffee can reduce the risks of type 2 diabetes: There are some studies that show that coffee can help reduce the risks of type 2 diabetes. Type 2 diabetes is a chronic condition that affects millions of people around the world.
Read also: Now, smell your coffee; This is the benefit you have
Disclaimer: This content, including advice, provides only generic information. It is by no means a substitute for qualified medical opinion. Always consult a specialist or your own doctor for more information. NDTV is not responsible for this information.