Testimonies of the tragedy of Fiori: "The smell of gasoline was scandalous" | Lima | Accidents


At 7:33 pm Last Sunday, Bartolo Llonto Ñiquen looked at his watch, kissed his two-year-old son and left him on the legs of his wife, Elizabeth Carrillo Chileno, who was three months pregnant. He said goodbye and got off the bus.

Fiori: girl who survived the fire on the bus reunited with her family
San Martín de Porres: 17 dead by bus fire in the informal terminal of Fiori

Elizabeth and her eldest son, Jonathan Carranza Carrillo, were in the last row of second-level seats with the C4L-966 board from Sajy Bus. With them, another 55 passengers came from an informal terminal located in the city. in the vicinity of the Fiori shopping center, in San Martín de Porres (Lima), towards Chiclayo.

Almost behind Bartolo, Jose Olivos Hernandez went down to the driver's cabin to warn him that a smell of fuel was stunning the passengers. The corridor separated the headquarters of José Olivos from Luis Vitón Villanueva, who was sitting next to his wife, Gloria Collantes Cáceres. Luis Vitón was in the corridor waiting for information that Jose Olivos brought from the driver. Then it all began.

Luis remembers that there were two explosions in a row, a spark and then, in total darkness, the bus filled with smoke. In the midst of the screams, a human avalanche dragged him to the first level when the rear of the vehicle began to be consumed by the fire. He did not have time to take the wife's arm. Below, he encountered Jose Olivos facing the crowd in vain to lift the ransom of his family.

At that moment, Bartolo Llonto was boarding the Tomas Valle Avenue minibus that would take him to his home in Ventanilla. He says, with dismay, that he has seen the smoke from afar, but has not related it to the tragedy which, he assures, is looking at his soul today.

-The pain inside

Bartolo Llonto, José Olivos and Luis Vitón have a common misfortune: they lost their wives, their families, their strength. In a corner of the front of the Central Necropério of Lima, Jose, the oblique and weak body, soon appoints each of the relatives who accompanied him. There are six. "My life," he repeats.

Last Friday, he had arrived in Lima from Oyotún (Chiclayo) with his wife, Rosa Sipión, his sons Fanny, Álex and Estela and their four grandchildren. On Saturday, everyone danced at the wedding of a nephew of Joseph and, hours before boarding the bus, they had dinner together for the last time.

The little that Jose Olivos has managed to remember is that during the struggle to raise and take his family from the flames, he managed to drag his daughter Estela. She was carrying her one-year-old baby in her arms. The knot of bodies that formed on the ladder joining the two levels of the vehicle did not allow him to continue.

Luis Vitón wanders in anticipation of the final list of fire fatalities. "They are 17," he says, walking, but he does not know where to go and back, as if trying to find an answer, or rather an exit, a hope.

More than 40 years ago he met Gloria Collantes in Cayaltí while working in the cooperative of that Chiclayo district. Since then, they have never separated, even when they had to go to Lima in search of work. That's why, now that he remembers the moment he stopped to find out what caused the stench of gasoline and glue that spread on the bus, he fainted.

"The smell of gasoline was scandalous, they threw stones at the mole from below, but they did not do anything to them, they were completely closed," he laments.

When the fire became uncontrollable for the few extinguishers that were in the terminal, Luis Vitón was removed and could not enter. Annoyed, the man says he prayed as much as he could to the police and firefighters who attended the emergency, but no one believed he was a victim either, or that his wife was in the blazing bus.

Bartolo Llonto, the first picture of the catastrophe came from his daughter's cell phone, almost when he arrived at his house. She told him that she was calling him during the whole trip and also showed the first reports of the fire that were broadcast on television. Immediately Bartolo recognized the vehicle and the place where he had left his pregnant wife and son. He collapsed in tears and began to return.

The only thing he had in his head, he says, was the black smoke he saw as he left the terminal and, cursing himself, the image of his family. "We would be separated for only two days.My wife traveled to a mass for her father.I should have gone with them."

– lost hope

Wives Fernando Valverde Caballero and Isabel Mora Inga were also in the fateful unit of Sajy Bus, but they were not precisely for Chiclayo. His destiny was Casma (Ancash). Yesterday, almost 6 in the morning. his relatives started phoning to find out where they were, but the cell phones they both used were off.

Luis Valverde, Fernando's uncle, says that in the morning everyone in his family was on alert with the news of the tragedy at the informal terminal. That was before the couple could have boarded the bus that had been burned.

Until the last second before Fernando's uncles and cousins ​​saw the list of travelers in Lima's central morgue, they still clung to the idea that the couple had changed destiny for a change. But the fingerprints had already corroborated that Fernando and Isabel were on the payroll of the first bodies identified.

"The hardest thing will be to tell his daughters 5 and 12," says Luis, who says he was like a father to Fernando. And then he cries.


Alfonso Flóres, General Manager of Fundación Transitemos: "Where is the authority?"

Transport has been undergoing a serious crisis of longstanding authority which has led us to propose the sector's emergency declaration to take action.

Responsibility for this tragedy is shared between national authority, local governments and the company. The lack of formal land terminals, lack of real technical reviews, lack of effective supervision, lack of education, informality and service insecurity are a time bomb that exploded.

It is essential to start improving the control system. The budget of those responsible for carrying out the task should be increased, joint work of the MTC, Sutrán, Indecopi, Judiciary and local governments.


The offices of the company Sajy Bus, in Chiclayo and Trujillo, were closed. Clothes and photos of the victims are veiled in Chiclayo, where the bus was leaving.

La Positiva Seguros reported that the SOAT of the company Inversiones SAJY S.R.L., owner of the bus, does not apply to attend the victims. However, he said he will take care of the care of victims and relatives through the title of liberality.

From 8:00 am Various authorities will be presented in the Congress to answer for the fire.


Source link