Thursday , January 21 2021

Health | Peanut allergy | "I avoid kisses because they can kill me" | Technology and Science | Science



There are many reasons why Oli Weatherall, a 22-year-old Briton, generally avoid giving a first kiss after an appointment.

Dying is one of them.

And the student from Surrey, England, suffers a severe allergy to peanuts or peanuts.

When he was a child, an allergic reaction to peanut butter caused him to be admitted to the hospital. Oli remembers that his saliva thickened so much that he could barely breathe.

Since then, his life has changed forever. And after recent high profile cases in the UK of young people who died due to food allergies, Oli told the BBC Newsbeat program how he faces his illness.

Oli says that the first time he was taken to a hospital after eating peanut butter was the most frightening experience of his life.

He had no idea what was happening to his body while his skin was covered with hives, forming red and swollen spots.

It's not just about avoiding peanuts. Even kissing a girl after going out on a date can be risky.

If she ate peanuts or this nut was used as an ingredient in a dishThis may be enough to cause a crisis.

"There are people who died for it," Oli explains.

"It's a very real risk and people who do not have allergies usually do not think about it."

"Unless you find someone close to you who has an allergy, you really do not need to think about it on such issues as flying abroad, flying or a romantic relationship."

"In the past I did not always ask about allergens in food when I went out to eat, now I know what I need," says the legend of this campaign by the UK Food Standards Agency, in which Oli collaborated.

"We often find people who have eaten a curry, or who have been to the pub … It's not just the fact that you're eating peanuts physically, you have to ask: did you eat an Indian dish? both meals that may contain peanuts) ".

"I really avoid that. There were moments in the past when it ruined my night.because I spent the whole night thinking, "Am I having a reaction?" ".

"I do not need the added stress, it would be nice not to have to worry about things like that, but it's a reality."

Eating somewhere other than your home is a problem for Oli.

Although restaurants should be aware of the allergens and know which ones are in their food, Oli says inexperienced managers or some waiters can cause problems.

This means that every time the young man leaves home for long periods, he needs to plan his food accurately.

"A lot of your life has to be planned to be able to feed you safely," says Oli.

"It takes your spontaneity, you have to be always thinking ahead, and prepared meals (sold by supermarkets) are always a better option than trying to eat out."

Holidays abroad are also a risk for the young man of 22 years.

It's not just the food on the planes. Any language barrier can create a lethal misunderstanding.

"If I get a reaction in the air, a lot of people would think," You have your EpiPen (an epinephrine autoinjector), you put it on and it'll be fine, "but it's not like that."

Airlines usually carry medical equipment and the staff is trained in first aid. But Oli is worried that this is not always enough.

"If you use an EpiPen, you need urgent medical attention, and that is not possible on a flight."

"I traveled with my friends in Australia and New Zealand three or four years ago, it was worth going, but when you have a severe allergy and stay in bad hotels, you can not cook there."

"It's not a safe environment, I ended up eating the worst diet, things I knew were right."

"You're on vacation, traveling and doing all these things and at the same time you're constantly thinking," I have everything ready for tomorrow? "It's tiring, I'm glad I did, but I would not do this again."

Recently, there have been two cases of young people who died after eating foods from the Pret A Manger chain.

Oli says this shows why he never feels safe in eating at similar establishments.

"They do not have labels there," he says. "There is no uniform way of giving good information to people with allergies so they can make decisions."

"They are obviously terrifying stories and show that this can happen anywhere where there are no established regulations," he says.

Follow us on Twitter …


Source link