A range of teething and colic for babies found to have a choking hazard on small pieces of plastic were collected.
Weleda found in its Baby Teething Powder and Baby Colic Powder small plastic "splinters" that could pose a risk of suffocation.
The company collected all batches manufactured from October 2018.
"All lots of Baby Teething Powder and Baby Colic Powder manufactured by Weleda from October 2018 potentially have small (~ 1cm in length), soft, white plastic splinters peel off the bottle cap when the first opening," said the announcement.
"The tapes present a potential for physical contamination of the powder with plastic when opening the bottle and may pose a risk of suffocation.
"This is due to the tightening of the fit lid on the jars."
The recall was a precautionary measure, and there were no complaints of choked babies, the company said.
The cause was a packaging failure and Weleda was working with suppliers on new packaging to find a solution.
The company identified the failure during the quality control test on April 3 and issued an Urgent Medicine Recall on April 18.
The announcement said that the company was acting "as fast as we could."
"Weleda NZ needed to complete a thorough investigation to understand the level of risk, which batches of product were potentially affected, and then seek guidance from the Ministry of Health, before informing retailers and consumers.
"Once we realized there was a potential risk, we issued this recall as a precautionary measure."
Anyone who purchased these products between October 2018 and April 2019 must stop using them and return them to Weleda NZ or the reseller from which they were purchased for a refund.