The "shed" of Tapu te Ranga Marae apparently contained three bedrooms, two levels, double bathrooms, electricity, water and a deck upstairs.
Thing He obtained a letter from a former tenant of the house, which was accepted as a shack called Uruora, and was rented for $ 380 per week.
Wellington City Hall confirmed this week that the only consent it could find in its file for all buildings in the Marae complex – where the main building was burned to the ground on Sunday – went to a shed.
Tapu Te Ranga's spokesman, Gabriel Tupou, declined to comment.
The letter, which allegedly spurred the council to action and issued dangerous building notices, said the Uruora building was identified by the council as a vessel shed.
CONSULT MORE INFORMATION:
* Tapu Te Ranga Marae fire: Potting launch the single structure with consent
* Teenage striker Tiana Metuarau organizes Pulse's fundraising for valuable marae
* Leaked e-mail shows that Wellington's council feared the worst in marae
The building was, in fact, an independent three-bedroom, two-level house. It was powered by gas, electricity and water from the marae and was rented at market value, the claimant said.
"When they are challenged about the unlawful and insecure way in which they operate, they group into the person (s) raising concern – targeting their families in threatening, abusive, illegal, inappropriate and unsafe ways."
A source with knowledge of the marae confirmed that there were toilets upstairs and downstairs and a deck. It was rented for about $ 380 per week.
The complainant, who Thing chose not to identify, understood that the marae had actually received retrospective consent in 1991.
The claimant listed other dwellings on the site, apparently rented at market value, but the council found no authorized record.
Thing received a letter from another former tenant of the house. It was originally written as a media statement in 2015, but was never submitted.
"We have a strong commitment to mara kaupapa. However, the mismanagement of rental problems has been a constant problem in progress," the letter said.
"Charge very close to market incomes for properties that are not consented to, do not meet basic health and safety requirements, have no functional facilities and can not be connected to a viable telephone line, and can not be maintained for long.
"Not having an effective process to manage these problems is an ongoing recipe for disaster."
Meanwhile, Wellington City Council spokesman Richard MacLean said that in 2013 a gas supply company became aware of unauthorized work on gas pipe fittings at the marae site.
"The flaws were corrected by a certified gas certifier in May 2014. In 2015, an on-site inspection was conducted by the Energy Safety and City Hall team. From the visual inspection, it appears that the fixed gas Ranga marae were safe and complacent. "
He confirmed that it was well known that Tapu te Ranga was frequently used for overnight stays by all sorts of groups, both before and after the issuance of dangerous building notices.