Knights go four straight against repentant dragons


A few days after Brad Fittler, the Blues coach, had called him, Newcastle midfielder Mitchell Pearce may have put himself on the bench for an unlikely source recall after joining defender Kalyn Ponga to inspire an impressive humiliation of St George Illawarra in Mudgee. on Sunday.

Pearce scored an attempt, helped create four more for his teammates and kicked a 35-yard field goal as the Knights raced against an out-of-the-box Dragons team to give Blues coach Brad Fittler a timely reminder of his skill .

With Penrith's Nathan Cleary, struggling for a good form, Fittler mentioned on Thursday Pearce and Adam Reynolds of Sydney as possible alternatives, and the Newcastle captain can not do more than that.

Fittler also expressed concern about Ponga's impact on the Queensland team and he was in a devastating way as the Knights recorded their fourth consecutive win to finish with a personal 26-point bid in two tries and eight goals.

The loss was the fourth of St George Illawarra in several matches and the first signs of how the game would unfold when Tim Glasby took advantage of a kick of Pearce to mark the first attempt of Newcastle in the fifth minute.

The Knights continued to pressure the St George Illawarra defense, with Kurt Mann forcing the finish line off and Ponga kicking an 11-minute penalty goal.

The defender won the 9267 fans at the Glen Willows stadium when he left Ben Hunt, a likely Queensland team-mate, dive to the ground and beat three other defenders before getting rid of an attempt by Matt Dufty to make his first attempt.

It could have been even worse for the Dragons, as Newcastle midfielder Edrick Lee gave no chance in the 18 minutes of the second half after replays showed that hooker Danny Levi had scored a goal against Dufty from a Pearce bomb.

St George Illawarra did not even play the ball in the final Knights of the field until the 19th minute, but they delivered almost immediately after an off-center attempt Tim Lafai went to the ground.

In contrast, Newcastle only made its first mistake in the 30th minute when Hymel Hunt lost the ball and the overpost led to another Ponga attempt and a penalty.

Ponga's second attempt was almost as good as the first, with Pearce rushing to the line and creating space for the defender to defeat Frizell and Dufty and score.

The Dragons were their worst enemy, with Zac Lomax starting again from Ponga's first attempt, while the fifth-eighth Jai Field and Hunt, each of them, provided the seven-man set of Newcastle with wrong kicks.

At the other end, Ponga forced another fall on the finish line, attacking Dufty in the goal after leading the chase of his own kick and Pearce put Mann in the 36th minute on the next set of tackles.

Only one Hunt on Knights endurance tackle, Lachlan Fitzgibbon, in the 39th minute of the second half prevented Newcastle from making the second half with a lead greater than 28-0 but took only five minutes to Newcastle. points.

Midfielder Shaun Kenny-Dowell scored a pass out for Pearce and the Knights captain then tried alone in the 54th minute after defeating Lomax in a run for Lee's perfect weight.

At a disadvantage of 38 to 0, the Dragons finally gained some relief when Mann was sent to the sinus box for repeated infractions of the Newcastle players and Tariq Sims and Lomax scored during the 10 minutes he was off the field.

However, normal service was resumed when the Knights returned to 13 at 13 and Connor Watson scored another try before Pearce scored a 35-yard field goal at 79. "


Source link