Tired of unexplained fatigue, bathing under the right ribs, itchy skin, belly, yellowing of apples and skin, dark urine? Such diseases already occur when liver disease is advanced.
The media report states that the causes of chronic liver disease can be varied (viral, autoimmune, genetics). Recently, physicians have increasingly diagnosed liver disease associated with dietary and lifestyle characteristics that can have irreversible effects on human health – non-alcoholic steatohepatic liver disease. As the disease progresses, inflammation of the liver (steatohepatitis) and cirrhosis of the liver develop.
The non-alcoholic disease of liver fever is the most common liver disease in western industrial countries. The main risk factors for liver fatigue are abdominal obesity (the highest fat in the abdomen), type 2 diabetes, dyslipidemia (disorders of cholesterol metabolism), and metabolic syndrome.
Photo by Fotolia / Liver
According to the medical gastroenterologist Aida Zvirbliene, eating habits should be reviewed to keep the liver healthy as long as possible. Does a person only eat when they feel a physiological hunger? Eating is trying to suppress unrecognized emotions, anxiety? We are able to eat, knowing the process of eating itself: not running, thinking about how to shop, our house came with food, how it was prepared, and enjoying and revealing a versatile palette of tastes?
Eating habits are not changing in a day, so to make changes, Dr. A. irvirblienė believes that strong motivation is important – only then will it be easier to achieve the desired changes. Strict diet plans, if there is no motivation, will not bring long-term changes, but will increase the vicious cycle of the diet.
– Deciding to change eating habits often seems to have lost the products that you can eat. What would you recommend?
– I have noticed that people in Lithuania are very inclined to experiment with themselves, attacking a wide range of nutritional extremes, limiting their diet to absurdity and consulting nutritionists without any medical education. After all, nowadays we go to the surgeon and not the butcher. Why do not we consult nutritionists?
– How to prepare food for more benefits than damages?
– The value of food depends not only on its quality, but also on the dishes and the way it is prepared. For example, cooked or steamed foods are healthier for the liver than fried or boiled often. Scratched teflon pans are harmful to food preparation because of the risk of cancer. It is important that the food is varied, balanced, tasted with various herbs. It is worth not forgetting vegetables, avoid cheeses, processed products, little nutritious.
I noticed that people in Lithuania are very inclined to experiment with themselves, attacking a variety of food extremes, – said A. Žvirblienė.
– What should be the proportions of proteins, fats and carbohydrates to maintain a healthy liver and feel good?
– Proteins were estimated at about 15-20% per day. food food. Protein is the main protein in the liver, which makes protein very important in the diet if you have liver disease. However, there is also much weight here: too much protein worsens kidney function and promotes kidney failure, so experimentation with protein diet is dangerous.
Calculating daily calories should not refuse fat. If a person consumes less than 20% of the total daily diet, there is a risk that your body does not have fat-soluble vitamins.
By reducing fat intake, the body tries to compensate for the lack of energy and therefore, in a rational diet, there are more and more worthless sweets, which in the body are transformed into fatty acids, and these triglycerides are transported to the cells of the liver. In this way, the liver becomes fat. It is worth to enrich the diet with polyunsaturated acids, which have anti-inflammatory effect, rich in antioxidants.
Medicinal plants whose positive effects on the liver have been proven by scientific research should also be taken into account.
– What herbal substances can help reduce liver fatigue?
– Based on science is a combination of turmeric root (curcumin), true marginal seed (silymarin) and extracts of black pepper (piperine). Research confirms that the active ingredients contained in these plants help restore damaged liver cells, promote liver function, cleanse the body, prevent the liver from gaining weight and dissolve existing fat.
Photo by Fotolia / Turmeric
When used together, these herbal extracts work much more strongly than individually because curcumin is best absorbed up to 20-fold when used in combination with piperine and silymarin is most active due to the effect of piperine.
– What is the role of dietary fiber in the digestive process?
– In addition to dietary fiber, digestion will not be good and liver function will be impaired. At least 25 grams of dietary fiber should be ingested daily. Some people may find it difficult to do this, for example, when we eat a banana, we get only 3 grams of fiber. And the fibers form the medium for good bacteria and improve the performance of these bacteria.
Liver function disorders are usually mistakenly associated with alcohol, drug use and do not even think about the impact they may have on eating habits. Changing habits is not easy, but it's worth getting started. And the first step to a liver-friendly diet can be a question for yourself before every bite – do you really want that food to be my body?