Divorce deal, Jeff Bezos pays his wife $ 36 billion



[ad_1]

Jeff Bezos remains the largest shareholder of Amazon even after the divorce. The founder of the online sales giant maintains 75 percent of Amazon shares he held with his wife, as well as control of the Washington Post and Blue Origin. MacKenzie Bezos, on the other hand, accounts for the remaining 25% of the titles, or 4% of Amazon: a slice worth 36 billion dollars, which makes divorce the most expensive in history and makes Mackenzie one of the richest women of the world.

According to Bloomberg calculations, in fact, MacKenzie becomes the fourth newspaper in the world, according to Forbes, the third behind the heir of Léo Françoise Bettencourt Meyers and Alice Walton, the daughter of the founder of Walmart. Jeff Bezos still remains the richest in the world, with his share of the Amazon – 12% compared to 16% pre-divorce – worth $ 107 billion, to which are added the $ 4 billion Washington Post and Blue Origin.

The details of the divorce are entrusted to a MacKenzie tweet. "I'm grateful that the breakup of my marriage to Jeff is over," says MacKenzie. "I am happy to give him all my interests in the Washington Post and Blue Origin, 75% of our shares on Amazon plus the control of votes in my stock." Jeff Bezos, also on Twitter, thanks: "She was a partner, an ally and an extraordinary mother. He's brilliant and I'll always have something to learn from him. "

The divorce will be finalized in the next ninety days, after which MacKenzie will become Amazon's third-largest shareholder. The agreement dissolves fears of a shakeup at the top of Amazon: MacKenzie could have asked for 50 percent of the commons, or 80 billion dollars, and that did not happen. He did not even weaken the position of his ex-husband, nor did a legal battle that, in fear, could have distracted Bezos from his functions as administrative director. For Amazon shareholders, in short, a sigh of relief after the past few months in the window between the burned photos published by the tabloid National Enquirer and the fear of a broader scandal.

[ad_2]

Source link