Inquiry heard request for asylum forced to take bus from Cork to Dublin for treatment in the last weeks of life


An asylum seeker with heart problems who could not walk 200 meters without extreme shortness of breath spent the last weeks of his life in extreme distress as he had to make several bus trips from Cork to Dublin for medical treatment, his widow said . investigation.

The woman, who can not be appointed for legal reasons, said her 46-year-old husband was treated at Mater Hospital in Dublin when the couple first arrived in Ireland in January 2017.

The Algerian couple were initially based at the Baleseskin reception center in Dublin.

The woman told the court in Cork Coroner that her husband had received medical attention at the Connolly and Mater hospitals from January to June 2017.

The man, who had a defibrillator implant, was taken by ambulance to both hospitals for shortness of breath during this time and was advised to attend the follow-up appointments at the Mater arrhythmia clinic.

The couple moved to the Kinsale Road Accommodation Center in Cork in June 2017, despite their concerns about being so far from the Mater.

The man was rushed by ambulance from central Cork to the University Hospital of Cork (CUH) on two occasions from June until his death in August 2017.

His widow said that her husband suffered immensely as a result of having to travel to Dublin for various scheduled medical appointments and asylum in Dublin.

She said she was "extremely traumatized as a result of the way her husband died."

"My husband died only nine weeks after his transfer and his last weeks were classified by stress, anxiety and acute illness as a result of his transfer.

"He was forced to spend long periods traveling by bus when he should be resting."

The man died on August 12, 2017 in CUH.

An incision procedure was performed on the spot to remove the liquid from his heart after he presented himself in A and E feeling bad.

Her care had not been formally transferred from the Mater to the CUH and no notes had been forwarded.

However, the CUH team said he received the best possible care

The widow of the deceased said the day after her death that she was transferred back to Dublin.

Linda Keating, deputy director of the RIA, told the inquiry that the services at CUH were equivalent to those offered at the Mater.

She said the man had been evaluated by the HSE medical team prior to his transfer to Cork.

She acknowledged that they had received a request for transfer before her death.

She stated that the couple received overnight accommodation when they went to Dublin for appointments.

Breda Keane, manager of the accommodation center at Kinsale Road, said the widow's widow was extremely distressed about her placement in Cork and that a transfer request was made for her return to Dublin.

State assistant pathologist, Dr. Margaret Bolster, said the man died of ARVD heart disease.

Congestive heart failure was due to your condition associated with pericarditis, bleeding or bleeding due to sepsis and an infection of your defibrillator.

Ciaran Lewis, SC, representing the widow, said no consideration was given to accommodate the man at any center outside Cork.

He pointed out that Mater's staff were fully aware of the medical history of the case and that there was no transfer of notes.

The jury recorded a verdict of natural causes.

They recommended that asylum seekers with medical complaints receive the relevant medical information when transferred to another facility.


Source link