Clermont 32 – 27 Harlequins


Last updated: 04/20/19 10:38

Damian Penaud (L) and Wesley Fofana celebrate

Damian Penaud (L) and Wesley Fofana celebrate

The harlequins were unable to prevent Clermont Auvergne from
End of the European Challenge Cup with La Rochelle as they were beaten 32-27 in the
Stade Marcel Michelin.

Paul Gustard's team made a good showing and did little wrong but still made 18 points down with Clermont's first-half attempts by Fritz Lee and Damian Penaud with Camille Lopez kicking two goals.

Mike Brown crossed into the Harlequins, but Clermont's power play proved too much, as Morgan Parra also added two conversions and two penalties.

After the break, Harlequins went to break and added three more attempts through Chris Robshaw, James Lang, and an effort by Alex Dombrandt late.

Clermont was in front of him, and Lopez opened the scoring when he went back into his pocket and hit a sweet penalty-kick with his left foot.

Marcus Smith responded by Harlequins with a penalty, and his team finished the first quarter level, as attackers Kyle Sinckler and Rob Buchanan both made heavy shipments.

Fritz Lee avoids Kyle Sinckler's attack to score

Fritz Lee avoids Kyle Sinckler's attack to score

The visitors suffered a blow with the temporary loss of former England player Joe Marler, who was sent off for a head injury assessment.

Lopez then dropped another goal that was quickly followed by a Parra penalty, and although Marler returned to the field, Clermont soon became clearer.

Number eight Lee fell on a parra pass and left the tackle to get to the line. Parra added the conversion to a 16-3 lead.

Soon after, flying the wing of France, Penaud then received his own kick after a break from George Moala to score the second attempt of Clermont and Parra again converted.

The harlequins faced each other, but they reacted just before half-time, when Smith's superb bridle and the pass around found Brown side, who turned away from Penaud to make the line.

Smith failed to convert, and Parra's penalty increased to 26 to 8 at half-time.

Clermont dominated possession at the beginning of the second half, and Parra added two more penalties while continuing the perfect night job on the tee.

Harlequets' wing Ross Chisholm was dismissed after Dombrandt was judged by TMO to have contacted him, but captain Robshaw soon responded.

The flanker was led over the line with the help of Matt Symons under the posts, and Smith could not miss with the conversion.

Mike Brown marks Quins

Mike Brown marks Quins

Smith then kicked forward, and when Clermont's side Setariki Tuicuvu could not handle it, Lang took advantage only two minutes into the action.

Smith was converted, and suddenly the impetus – against all odds – was with Harlequins.

Gustard's side was right for the challenge and was forcing Clermont into rare errors, and capitalized when Dombrandt was led over the line to further reduce the distance.

Smith's fall goal conversion hit the post as Harlequins fell little against a Clermont side who has not yet lost at home this season.


Source link