Friday , November 22 2019
Home / greece / Closing Ptolemais will save the planet!

Closing Ptolemais will save the planet!



Closing Ptolemais, We Will Save The Planet !, Antonis Foskolos

By 2017, renewable energy accounted for 4.5% of global energy needs (Fig. 1). According to data from the Paris-based International Energy Commission (IEA), the RES will only cover 20% by 2040 (Fig. 2). The remaining 80% will be covered by non-renewable energy sources, 75% of which will come from hydrocarbons. The Greek Energy Institute of South East Europe (IENE) belongs to the International Energy Committee and the Prime Minister may invite the IENE secretary in his office to find out details.

Figure 1. Share of RES in world production in 2017, BP Statistical Review of World Energy 2018.

Figure 2 shows what types of energy will be needed / used to meet global energy needs by 2040. It is worth noting that while renewable energy covers only 20% of global needs, solid fuels will remain the same. overall energy level. The same goes for crude oil, while demand for gas will increase.

Figure 2. Share of renewable and nonrenewable energy sources from 1850 to 2040, Annual Global Per Capita Primary Fuel Consumption, IEA New Policy Scenario.

Why do we want the RES to cover 35%? In Figure 3, we can see that solid fuels will remain in the global energy scenario. China produces 2.8 billion tons of lignite and anthracite annually, $ 800 million tons of lignite and coal, Russia 320 million tons, India 320 million tons of coke.

That is, China consumes more coal and lignite annually than cumulatively the US, Russia and the Indians. In addition, China produces 800 million tons of CO2 annually from cement factories, ie both CO2 and all European power plants.

Since 2010, China has built a 300 MW / month solid fuel plant and a 300 MW / month nuclear plant. By 2020, it will have 120 solid fuel stations and 120 nuclear power plants. The construction of these plants requires large amounts of cement, the production of which results in huge CO2 emissions. Who will stop China or the US, Russia or India from using solid fuels?

Figure 3. Evolution of energy needs over time from renewable and non-renewable sources, International Energy Committee data.

Given that annual CO2 emissions total 37 billion tonnes, of which only 19 billion are due to hydrocarbons, if Europe fails to emit its share of 0.8 billion tonnes, that would be 2.2%, ie 2.2%;

However, not only has sea level risen as predicted, but the temperature in the troposphere – where atmospheric CO2 is concentrated – has fallen below -600. If you are flying from Athens to Europe or America, ask the pilot what temperature is 20 km above the planes. What are the benefits of green taxes in Greece? Imagine the extent to which Ptolemaic lignite units would help combat the greenhouse effect.

Figure 4. Countries / regions exporting and importing natural gas in the world. Asia (China, India, Japan and Korea) and Europe. It is noteworthy that there is a steady increase in demand for natural gas in the world. EIA data, USA, International Energy Outlook 2019.

Yes, Western Europe, with 300 million people, which only affects 0.8% of annual CO2 emissions, wants – on the pretext of climate change – to impose green taxes around the world. Obviously, nearly 7.5 billion people living in Asia, Africa, Australia and America deny it. Unlike Western Europe, Eastern Europe and the Balkans – except Greece – also refuse.

Solid fuels will be used and carbon dioxide will run its course regardless of green taxes. In addition, as shown (Figure 4), global gas dependency is increasing. Greece needs to exhaust the full potential of hydrocarbon mining, because if the evidence is confirmed, as I estimate, it will open the way for the wounds left by the memoranda. This is a realistic perspective.

In conclusion, we say that it is not a realistic solution to burden the kneeling Greeks with lignite abandonment and "green" taxes, which will go to wind turbine manufacturers and importers. Not even the Greeks, like "crusaders," save planet Earth. Obviously, they also cannot pay as much for Russian gas through the price of electricity.

  • The views mentioned in this article are personal to the columnist and do not necessarily reflect the position of SLpress.gr
  • Reproduction of this article by other websites is prohibited without permission of SLpress.gr. Reproduction of the first 2 to 3 paragraphs is allowed by adding an active link to read the accompaniment from SLpress.gr. Violators will face legal action.


Source link