Sunday , October 20 2019
Home / germany / Peanut allergy drug? Researchers hope for allergy sufferers

Peanut allergy drug? Researchers hope for allergy sufferers



In Germany, 10 per cent of children and adolescents under 18 suffer from peanut allergy. Due to the increasing technological use in the food industry, the number of people with peanut allergy in Germany is increasing massively. In some cases, a simple tap is enough to cause dangerous symptoms.

Even amounts in the microgram range are dangerous.

Many people with allergies only need to touch the peanuts to get an allergic shock. There are sufficient amounts in the microgram range to trigger symptoms such as breathlessness, vomiting, and swelling in the oral and pharyngeal areas. Anaphylactic shock can be fatal.

To date, there is no approved medical form of treatment for allergy. Patients should follow a strict diet and receive prescribed rescue medications such as antihistamine or an automatic adrenaline injector in the event of an allergic shock. However, nothing worked prophylactically.

US Testing First Peanut Allergy Prophylactic Remedy

Researchers in America have already worked on a remedy that would provide people affected by hyposensitivity. Although this does not mean that the allergy goes away, allergy sufferers can better cope with the allergy.

As a result, those affected would experience a significant improvement in their quality of life. The study was published in the New England Journal of Medicine and states that the children and adolescents tested were able to eat up to two peanuts throughout the study without showing dangerous symptoms.

Considering that even microgram amounts can trigger allergic shocks, this is a tremendous advance in research. All that remains is to wait for the drug to be developed so far so it can be approved for allergy sufferers and offer a new way in treating allergies.

For children who are not yet born with peanut allergies, a peanut-containing diet may even reduce the subsequent risk of peanut disease. This is at least the statement from the National Institute of Allergy and Infectious Diseases.


Source link