Could the damage be limited?


48 hours after the fire that rocked the world, many questions arise about what happened at Notre-Dame de Paris.

Was there a lack of reactivity during the fire at Notre-Dame de Paris this Monday, April 15? What could have led to such a disaster? Could the damage be more limited? An investigation was opened and the time between the first fire alarm at 18:20 and the second asked many questions. What happened during those 23 minutes that separated the first and second Notre Dame fire alarms? The Paris prosecutor returned to the precise protocol to follow in the event of an alert. Around 6:20 p.m., a first red dot flashes on the cathedral's security screens. In this case, the protocol is clear, according to Benjamin Mouton, former chief architect of Notre-Dame: "The clergy said: if there is an alarm that goes off without reason, do not worry about entertaining the faithful who are in the cathedral. If there is a real alarm that triggers, you warn us and we will say to the microphone, calmly, that you have If the alarm goes off, the fire is proven. " he explains Europe 1.

But that first alert caused a bug in the computer and the security officer was directed to the wrong spot in the cathedral where the fire was supposed to take place, according to a supposition of the investigators. The security officer would not have immediately fallen on the fire in question during his round. The firemen's call was delayed, played a few minutes and the fire could probably have been mastered well before without this computer bug.

Johann Vexo, one of the organists of Notre-Dame de Paris, was playing when the fire started on Monday night. He confided to West of France and stated that at 18:30, between the two warnings, therefore, an ad asking the faithful to evacuate the place calmly has traveled well in the cathedral: "Around 6:25 p.m. to 8:30 p.m., an alarm sounded, and the alarm, the priest, the singer who accompanied me and I, we had never heard, began with a siren, then a message in French and English invited visitors to evacuate the building in peace ". Everyone left the building without seeing smoke or fire in the area. Johann Vexo continues and tells what happened when he joined his apartment near the cathedral: "When I got home, a colleague from abroad contacted me, he was in a panic, he asked me what was happening in Paris, he had seen on social networks, I believe, that the cathedral was on fire, so I opened my window , I saw the smoke, I thought of the message of the room and I understood. "

At that time, it is 18:50 and the fire has already taken the roofs of Notre-Dame. It seems to be already too late to limit the damage and save part of the roof and tower of the cathedral. These collapse. At the moment, the police, the criminal brigade police, do not have access to the interior of the cathedral because they are not yet sure: "As long as the architects and firefighters have not given a green light, there will be no discoveries or samples on the spot … The goal is twofold: to try to determine the origin of the fire and to understand its mode of development" explains Christophe Pezron, director of the police precinct's central laboratory at Figaro.

Review of the fire that devastated Notre-Dame de Paris

by Melanie Bonvard



Source link