Lucie Šafářová was unable to apply for a wild card in singles at Roland Garros, and in Paris she only says goodbye to the international tennis scene. The clay grand slam starts on Sunday, May 26.
The 2015 French Open singles finalist, Šafářová, ends her career after the tournament and wanted to say goodbye to the bachelors. The 32-year-old woman was originally planning to say goodbye in January in Australia, where she did not quit because of her injured wrist.
As she did not know how to do it, Roland Garros did not sign up for the singles first. Therefore, she subsequently requested a card to qualify. But the organizers did not listen to his wishes; take off to allow seven tennis players at home and one American.
"I asked for a card to qualify and I did not count on him because I know they have a lot of young players in France," Safarova told CTK, who played for the first time at the 2005 Grand Slam in Roland Garros. the main singles competition, and has been missing in Paris since last year. Thanks to the 2015 final, the tournament will be your best single on a single with a score of 20:14.
"I'm looking forward to doubling even more now," Safarova said. He is about to resume his collaboration with Bethania Matteo-Sands, USA, with whom Roland Garros won in 2015 and 2017. "We are already registered, Bethanie is already training and Paris should be well. "said Safarova.
In the Czech Republic WTA Tournament, the J & T Banka Prague Open, Šafářová bid farewell to the Czech public in doubles. Before that, she played the last doubles at the Fed Cup and sealed the winning bullfight with a win over Canada.