American comedian and actor Kevin Hart is no longer the Oscar host on Thursday night for homophobic and anti-gay tweets.
Two days after announcing he had been confirmed to present the party, Hart assured him that the Academy of Motion Picture Arts and Sciences had asked him to choose between apologizing for tweets or for work. Hart said the messages were almost a decade ago and he has matured ever since.
"I chose to forward the apology. The reason I do it is because I've done it several times," said Hart, 39, in a video posted on Instagram.
"I told you who I am now compared to who I was back then. […] I'm in a completely different place in my life, "explained Hart.
On Twitter, Hart apologized to the LGBT community for what he called "my insensitive words of the past."
"I'm sorry for hurting people," he added. "I am evolving and I want to continue to do this, my goal is to unite people, not separate, much love and appreciation for the Academy, I hope we can meet again."
The Academy will now have to find a new host for the 91st Oscar in February.
© Agence France-Presse