The cell phone rings and when you look at the screen, you see that it is an unknown number. It's probably a commercial connection, but at the same time you fear it might be important. Do you also hesitate to respond?
Google decided to use artificial intelligence to help the user in such cases. The technology company launched the Call Screening service in November, an application that filters incoming calls without having to respond.
- How is Pixel 3, the new Google phone, and how does it compare to the Apple iPhone XS?
- How to calibrate your phone to optimize battery performance
The service is currently only available on Pixel devices, where it is installed by default. Either way, the application is expected to be generalized and reach Android, although Google has not yet talked about dates.
When the user of these devices receives a call, they will have the option to activate the call screening, which will appear on the screen. If activated, the caller will hear an automated voice that will ask you to identify yourself and explain the reason for the call.
- The mistake during a training that could cost Google "10 million dollars"
- How long would a cell phone last if there were no programmed obsolescence?
At the same time, a screen will appear on the screen conversation transcript, so the user can decide whether to answer the call. Otherwise, the voice assistant will apologize and reject you.
What happens if it is not easy to identify who is calling? In this case, the service offers the options "Tell me more", "Is it urgent?" and "Call again later", which can be activated from the same screen.
- What they say about Facebook – and their strategies – Zuckerberg's confidential e-mails published by the British Parliament
Google said the transcripts of these calls remain on the phone and are not stored on their servers, although the user can retrieve them in their mobile history.
You can now receive notifications from BBC News World. Download the new version of our application and activate it so you do not lose our best content.
- Do you already know our channel on YouTube? Sign up!