Whether for business reasons or simply for pleasure, it is clear that more and more people decide to eat or dine away from home. A situation that for many, especially for those who put special care in their diet for health reasons, is a problem the control of the food is lost because it is not possible to know the origin of the ingredients or to control the cooking technique used in its preparation.
But it is a trend that inevitably came to stay. "It can lead to multiply the amount of food we eat as well as consumption of animal fats, saturated fat and desserts, although Eating out of home does not have to be synonymous with eating poorly"Says Dr. José Luis Palma, vice president of the Spanish Federation of Cardiology (FEC).
10 basic rules for healthy eating outside the home
Therefore, to try to guide those who usually eat away from home, the FEC shared a decalogue which offers some keys to enjoying a healthy diet:
1. Take advantage of new technologies to choose restaurants with menus with healthy offerings. Check the menu before on the Internet if possible, and stop by those offering fish, white meats instead of red, vegetables and fruits for dessert. The kitchen is roasted or grilled always before being fried or breaded.
2. Eat something healthy in the middle of the morning to avoid getting to the restaurant with excessive hunger (ideal fruit).
3. Drinking water is always the best option.
4. Choose before the rest of the diners to avoid temptation if they ask for something unhealthy.
5. Convince someone to share the entries (healthy, of course).
6. Sometimes less is more. Choose simple dishes that do not contain many different foods.
7. Ask if the dishes have some accompaniment and if so, make sure you are healthy.
8. Do not add salt or sauces.
9. It is not essential to finish the dish if you are not hungry. You can ask to be prepared to take it with you so you do not waste food.
10. Desserts are best avoided or at least shared. Fruit will always be one of the healthiest options.