Published Monday, December 10, 2018 3:37 PM EST
Last Update Monday, December 10, 2018 16:24 EST
The family of an 8-year-old murdered girl from Ontario says she was surprised again this week when she learned that one of her killers had been transferred to an average security prison.
Michael Rafferty, sentenced to life imprisonment in 2012 for kidnapping, raping, torturing and killing Victoria (Tori) Stafford in 2009, was transferred from a maximum security facility in Port-Cartier, Que., More than 900 kilometers south of a medium – Security institution in La Macaza almost nine months ago, according to documents obtained by CTV News.
"It means that EVERY TIME in the last three months, CORRECTIONS SERVICE CANADA and OUR CANADIAN GOVERNMENT have hidden the fact that NOBODY, BUT the people responsible for stealing Victoria's life have worked in pursuit of luxury," wrote Tori . Rodney's father in an emotional Facebook post in a closed group.
The information comes only a few weeks after the family and their supporters protested against the transfer of another Tori killer, Terri-Lynne McClintic, to an Indian-owned inn. Following widespread outrage, McClintic was moved out of the pavilion and into an average security facility in November.
In the House of Commons, House Conservative leader Candice Bergen voiced concerns over the transfers of the killers to Public Security Minister Ralph Goodale.
"I will examine the facts of this case to ensure that all appropriate rules and procedures have been followed and that Canadians are safe," Goodale said.
In his Facebook post, Stafford continued with an appeal to "Canadians everywhere" to help: "Our lost children and loved ones deserve justice and security in our country. I'm so ashamed to be Canadian now, "he wrote.