One doctor described a shocking case in which a woman was brain dead after a case of celiac disease had gone terribly wrong.
The medical episode, described on YouTube's medical channel Chubbyemu, involves a 39-year-old CG woman who came to the emergency room with a rapidly deteriorating state of mind.
Earlier that day the woman was making a "colon cleanse soy sauce" – a dangerous fashion on the internet that involves people drinking a quart of soy sauce in two hours.
The woman was already sick – she had lost 11 pounds in the last three weeks and had started white bread and a canned diet of fish six months ago.
She had also recently been released from a psychiatric hospital for what was believed to be intractable paranoid schizophrenia.
The woman had a psychotic conviction that the government had poisoned her and read online that the colon cleansed of soy sauce would eliminate her body from toxins.
Soon after drinking the highly salted soy sauce, she felt her heart beating faster, a US-based physician identified just as Bernard said.
Bernard runs the Chubbyemu channel.
"She resisted all urges to drink water. Over the next 30 minutes while driving home, CG stopped on the side of the road and started to cry, "he said.
When CG got home, she stumbled and began to mutter unintelligibly. She fainted then.
She was rushed to the hospital and while on the way had a heart attack before being resuscitated.
Several clues were available about what was wrong. More immediately CB was suffering from acute hypernatremia – meaning that she had extremely high levels of salt in the blood.
As Bernard explained, the "malicious" challenge of soy sauce was based on half-truths.
It was said that the challenge would be to cleanse a person's colon "by evacuating the whole body of toxins."
"The correct part is that wherever the sodium is, the water will flow toward it," he said.
"CG was told that soy sauce would stay in your colon. The toxin-filled water would flow and it would be clean, but that's not how it happens. "
He said the soy sauce brought huge amounts of salt to the stomach, which began to suck water from his muscles and organs.
The salt soon hit your brain, causing shrinkage, which can cause permanent brain damage.
Bernard said the doctors acted by infusing water filled with glucose into the CG body.
The sugar was absorbed by her cells, which diluted her blood.
WHAT HAPPENED NEXT
After treatment, the GC began to stabilize, but continued to come in and out of consciousness.
Four days later, she opened her eyes.
She exhibited dysarthria, dysphagia, and quadriplegia. She was unable to move, swallow or speak.
She was diagnosed with central pontine myelinolysis, a form of damaged nerve cells.
According to Bernard, she should not have been able to drink the soy sauce.
"Almost no normal human can drink nearly a pound of salt without vomiting," he said.
"CG had some quality for her that could separate her mind from drinking soy sauce."
He believes she had an undiagnosed celiac disease, an immune reaction to gluten intake, manifested as psychosis and delusional disorder.
A microscopic examination of their cells revealed "marked villi and atrophy," a common sign of celiac disease.
Bernard argued that she developed gluten sensitivity, became delusional and was misdiagnosed – later a victim of misinformation on the internet.
A study by Khalaf Bushara entitled Neurological presentation of celiac disease has shown that celiac disease has long been associated with neurological and psychiatric disorders.