RCMP confirms official fired gun at woman during incident at Dieppe


The RCMP confirmed Sunday that one of its police officers handed its firearm to a 25-year-old woman from Nova Scotia during a Saturday incident in Dieppe, N.B.

The woman was taken to the hospital with unspecified injuries.

While the RCMP continues to investigate the incident, the Nova Scotia Incident Response Team, an independent police oversight body, said her investigation into the injuries suffered by the woman is in the preliminary stages.

Ron Legere, of SIRT, said the agency was called to investigate by the New Brunswick RCMP.

"Our investigation is ongoing," said Legere, adding that no other information would be released at this time.

RCMP spokesman Nick Arbor said he could not comment on the use of force by RCMP members or how many shots were fired because members' actions were under review by SIRT.

"Any question about the use of force will have to be directed to the Incident Response Team."

The woman was arrested after she allegedly opened fire on emergency workers who responded to a car accident on Adélard-Savoie Boulevard, about half a kilometer from Moncton airport. She was taken into police custody after about 45 minutes.

The vehicle involved in the RCMP's ongoing investigation remains in place covered by a green tarp. (Guillaume Aubut / Radio Canada)Your injuries are not considered fatal. The RCMP said no one else was injured.

On Saturday, police said in a statement that a woman shot the rescuers, but on Sunday they said that "she has taken action threatening rescuers" and believe that these threats have been fired but will not say for sure. They are still investigating.

When asked whether the unloading of the weapon caused injuries to the woman, Arbor said that this was part of the investigation.

Asked about the timeline of Saturday's event, Arbor said the woman exhibited the menacing behavior toward rescuers "they reached her 45 minutes later" to make an arrest.

Asked if she had fled, Arbor said that those details were part of the ongoing investigation.

Road continues closed

A small part of Adélard-Savoie Avenue remained closed on Sunday, while RCMP and SIRT continued to investigate.

A vehicle remains in a wooded area covered by a green tarp. A snow-covered RCMP vehicle was at the side of the street with two orange cones next to a rear tire on the passenger side of the vehicle.

Legere said the SIRT investigators were on site during the night of Saturday and Sunday morning.

SIRT may be called upon to investigate issues involving death, serious injury, sexual assault and domestic violence, or other matters of significant public interest that may have arisen from the actions of any officer.

"It's a meaningful investigation, so it's going to take some time," Legere said.

Disturbing Events

Meanwhile, Chris Hood, executive director of the New Brunswick Paramedical Association, said that what has happened is troubling.

Hood said it is not only disturbing to the general public but also to rescuers who do not expect something like that to happen when they are trying to help someone.

"We're not entirely sure what the details are, but all indications are that someone fired a gun at them," Hood said.

Hood said the paramedics association will be in touch with those on duty at the moment to offer them all the assistance they need.

An RCMP vehicle is covered in snow with two orange cones by the rear tire. (Guillaume Aubut / Radio Canada)

"We're not seeing this as an isolated incident as much as we'd like to think," Hood said. "The last few years have certainly brought up issues where people are not always so happy to see first responders come to their door."

Hood said the paramedics of Saturday's incident responded appropriately to the situation.


Source link