(NANTUCKET, Mass.) – Actor Kevin Spacey is expected to appear Monday in a Nantucket court to answer charges that he sought a young man at a bar on the small island of Massachusetts in 2016.
Spacey said he will plead not guilty to felony and indecent assault.
Spacey's judicial appearance comes more than a year after former Boston TV anchor Heather Unruh accused Castle of Cards star sexually assaulting her son, then 18, at the crowded bar at Club Car where the teenager worked as a waiter's helper.
Spacey's attorney, Alan Jackson, tried to find out the case, noting that the teenager did not immediately report the allegations.
If convicted, Spacey may face up to five years in prison.
It is the first criminal case ever filed against the 59-year-old Oscar winner since other allegations of sexual misconduct appeared against him in 2017.
A judge denied Spacey's proposal to avoid appearing in person on Monday in Nantucket District Court. Spacey argued that his presence would "amplify the negative publicity already generated" by the case.
Unruh told reporters in November 2017 that Spacey left his son drunk and then took his genitals during the incident. She said her son ran away from the restaurant when Spacey went to the bathroom.
After the indictment was announced last month, Spacey released a video in the voice of Frank Underwood, his character on Netflix Castle of Cards, in which he said: "I certainly will not pay the price for the thing I did not do." It was unclear whether he was referring to the charge.
Spacey also faced other allegations.
His first accuser, actor Anthony Rapp, said that Spacey climbed on him in a bed when Rapp was 14 and Spacey 26. Spacey said he did not remember such a meeting but apologized if the allegations were true.