The mayor of Vancouver said he will direct the team to look for places where drug users can access safe opiates to prevent overdoses as part of a plan recommended by an emergency task force asking for more services for people dying alone.
Kennedy Stewart says the number of overdose deaths remained roughly the same as last year, despite the best efforts of front-line workers, rescuers and health care workers who seem to be waging a losing battle.
The sites where hydromorphone can be provided are part of an approved research project involving the B.C. Center for Disease Control, which had previously suggested making the opiate available in vending machines.
Dr. Patricia Daly, Vancouver Coastal Health's chief health officer and a member of the task force, says more people are dying alone in the city than in other parts of the province because of the large number of hotels and shelters for occupation of single rooms. and they need alarm systems, applications, or other ways to get help.
Stewart formed the task force last month shortly after taking office.
He says the report that also calls for $ 2.7 million in provincial funding and $ 770,000 from the federal government will be approved by the city hall Thursday.
The B.C. The Coroners Service reported 369 deaths in Vancouver last year and in September of this year, 297 people died.
Stewart says he discussed the Vancouver overdose crisis with Prime Minister Justin Trudeau, who seemed to be deeply sympathetic on the issue.