Tuesday , July 27 2021

Doctors blame tap water for amoeba that eats brain



SEATTLE – Doctors believe a woman who died of rare amoebae ate tap water to rinse her breasts.

The Seattle resident, 69, died in February after undergoing brain surgery at the Swedish Medical Center. Her doctor told the Seattle Times that there was "amoeba everywhere just by eating brain cells."

According to a study published in the International Journal of Infectious Diseases, doctors believe the woman was probably infected when she used tap water on her lota, a teapot used to flush the nasal passages.

Health officials suggest using only distilled, sterile or pre-boiled water to rinse the breasts. Tap water may contain small organisms that are safe to drink but can survive in nasal passages.

Such infections are very rare. There were three similar cases in the US from 2008 to 2017.


Source link