Airline Honest Delivery – World News


A Southwest Airlines flight made a sincere return to Seattle recently.

The Boeing 737-700 was about 500 miles from Seattle en route to Dallas on Dec. 9 when the crew was informed that a human heart destined for a Seattle hospital had not been unloaded at SeaTac airport, reported. .

The crew turned and returned to SeaTac to deliver the heart, intended for transplant surgery, about 2.5 hours after departure.

An unrelated technical issue kept the aircraft on the ground, and a surrogate aircraft was brought in, delaying the Dallas flight in about eight hours.


December 14, 2018 / 10h21 | Story:

A 20-year-old Texan mother, whose two children died after being thrown in a hot vehicle overnight, was sentenced to 40 years in prison.

The Kerrville Daily Times reports that Amanda Hawkins was convicted on Wednesday of the deaths of her two daughters in June 2017 in Kerrville, about 100 miles northwest of San Antonio.

Hawkins pleaded guilty in September on two counts of abandonment and threat of child abandonment and two counts of child injury.

Police reports show that Hawkins left his two-year-old daughter, Addyson, and Brynn, a one-year-old daughter, inside his vehicle while she was visiting friends. Temperatures hit the '80s while the girls were in the car.

Hawkins apologized before his sentence, saying the deaths will affect her for the rest of her life.

December 14, 2018 / 10:13 | Story:

Serbia spoke on Friday about the possibility of armed intervention in Kosovo after the Pristina parliament overwhelmingly approved the formation of an army, and Belgrade called the measure "the most direct threat to peace and stability in the region."

While the NATO chief called the Kosovo movement "inopportune," the United States approved it as "the sovereign right of Kosovo."

All 107 lawmakers present in the 120-seat Kosovo Parliament voted in favor of passing three bills to expand an existing 4,000-Kosovo security force and turn it into a regular and lightly armed army. Serbian lawmakers have boycotted the vote.

Serbia insists that the new army violates a UN resolution that ended the bloody Kosovo war of independence in 1998-1999. He warned bluntly that he could respond to the measure with an armed intervention in the former province, with Prime Minister Ana Brnabic saying it is "one of the options on the table."

On Friday, Nikola Selakovic, an adviser to the Serbian president, said the country could send armed forces or declare Kosovo as occupied territory. Foreign Minister Ivica Dacic said Serbia would seek an urgent session of the UN Security Council on the matter.

Serbian President Aleksandar Vucic also visited Serb troops near the border with Kosovo in an apparent saber-raid.

Any Serbian armed intervention in Kosovo would mean a direct confrontation with thousands of NATO-led peacekeeping forces, including US troops, stationed in Kosovo since 1999.

Serbia's allied Russia has denounced moves to form a Kosovo army, saying that the ethnic Albanian force must be "undone" by NATO in Kosovo.

Kosovo declared independence from Serbia in 2008, a move not recognized by Belgrade or its allied Russia. Tensions remained high between the two sides, and NATO and the European Union – which led to years of talks to improve ties between Balkan neighbors – regretted that Kosovo decided to move forward with the formation of the army.

"I reiterate my appeal to both Pristina and Belgrade to remain calm and to avoid any statements or actions that could lead to escalation," said NATO Secretary-General Jens Stoltenberg.

He said the alliance remains committed "to a secure environment in Kosovo and to stability in the wider Western Balkans." He said they will "re-examine the level of NATO involvement with the Kosovo Security Force."

The new army will preserve its current name – Kosovo Security Force – but now with a new mandate. In about a decade, the army expects to have 5,000 troops and 3,000 reservists, and an annual budget of 98 million euros ($ 111 million). It will take care of crisis response operations and civil protection – essentially what the current, lightly armed paramilitary force does. His main tasks would be search and rescue, explosive disposal, firefighting and disposal of hazardous materials.

It is not immediately clear how much more equipment or weapons the new army will have compared to the current force.

Striving to reassure Serbia and the international community, Kosovo's prime minister Ramush Haradinaj said the new army "will never be used against them (Serbs)." He added: "The Serbian army will now have a partner – the Kosovo army – in the partnership for the peace process."

Serbia fears that the main objective of the movement is to expel the Serbian minority from the Serbian-dominated north of Kosovo, a claim strongly denied by Pristina.


December 14, 2018 / 06:27 | Story:

Investigators investigating an attack that killed three people in Strasbourg were trying to find out if the prime suspect was aided while on the run, while the French city tried to return to the little joys of the festive season with the reopening of its Christmas market on Friday. .

Paris prosecutor Remy Heitz, who handles terror cases throughout France, told a news conference that seven people were in police custody, including four members of Cherif Chekatt's family and two detainees on Thursday night .

The 29-year-old was shot dead on Thursday during a police operation in the city's Neudorf neighborhood.

"We want to rebuild the last 48 hours to find out if he got any support," Heitz said.

Chekatt was suspected of killing three people near the Strasbourg Christmas market on Tuesday night. Heitz said that in addition, "a fourth victim is brain dead. Among the 12 others injured, there is one person at risk of death and four who remain hospitalized."

It was the latest in a series of deadly attacks that have killed more than 200 people in France since 2015.

On Friday, the Christmas market was reopened for the first time since the attack, amid strong security. Interior Minister Christophe Castaner watched the reopening and took a walk to meet the shopkeepers.

Market access was reduced, while extra police and military personnel were posted to the scene, as well as private security guards.

"This Christmas market is part of our history. It is part of our common events and belongs to all the French," said Castaner. "And this morning, we wanted to show as we went down the streets, that we always know how to raise our heads again."

Heitz gave more details about the police operation that led to Chekatt's death on Thursday night after a two-day hunt. He said the suspect was located after police received two crucial denunciations from residents of Neudorf. Three policemen patrolling in Neudorf saw a man corresponding to the suspect's description. He noticed his vehicle and tried to enter a building without success. When the police identified, Chekatt turned and opened fire.

"A projectile struck the vehicle above the left rear door, two policemen responded by firing several times and killed him," Heitz said.

Investigators found a gun, a knife and ammunition on Chekatt's body.

Chekatt has a long history of convictions for various crimes, including robberies. Chekatt was also on a list of possible extremists. He had his first conviction at age 13 and had 26 more when he died at age 29. He served his time in France, Germany and Switzerland.

December 14, 2018 / 6:24 am | Story:

Thirteen young miners were missing and feared to die after a well collapsed and flooded a coal mine they were digging illegally in northeastern India, police said on Friday.

Rescue workers were trying to pump water from the mine, which flooded on Wednesday, police said. Workers from the National Disaster Response Force joined local authorities in the rescue effort.

Police said the rescuers could only reach the miners after the water was removed from the mine.

The missing are believed to be teenage boys used by groups of illegal miners to enter mines of "rat holes" with small openings.

They said excavation at the mine was banned four years ago, but illegal and unsafe activity by private owners and the local community is plentiful. The area in the state of Meghalaya is about 130 kilometers north of Shillong, the state capital.

"It was absolutely an illegal mining activity," said Conrad Sangma, the state's top elected official. He said authorities would crack down on illegal mining groups.

Last month, an activist, Agnes Kharshiing, was attacked by people involved in illegal mining when she visited the area to protest her activities. She remains hospitalized with a life-threatening head and other injuries.

December 14, 2018 / 6:22 am | Story:

US-led troops captured the last city maintained by the Islamic State group on Friday after days of intense fighting in the only remaining enclave of militants in eastern Syria, activists said.

The fall of Hajin is a blow to the extremists. The city was their main fortress in the last land field they control in eastern Syria, near the Iraqi border. IS still owns some nearby villages.

Syrian Democratic Forces led by the Kurds have fought to take Hajin and the surrounding villages of the province of Deir el-Zour for more than three months. In recent weeks, the offensive has intensified with the arrival of reinforcements from northern Syria.

The Syrian Observatory for Human Rights based in Britain said the SDF took Hajin early in the morning after violent fighting under cover of US-led coalition air strikes. He said some EI fighters retreating to the villages and that fighting is still going on in the camps outside Hajin, while SDF fighters pursue the extremists.

European activist Omar Abu Layla of monitoring group DeirEzzor 24 confirmed that the city was taken, adding that some EI fighters are still hiding in small pockets on the edge of Hajin.

Aby Layla said that in the ranks of the Islamic State, disagreements over hierarchy and positions between Iraqi and Syrian fighters helped "accelerate the collapse" of the EI's defenses in Hajin.

Nuri Mehmud, a spokesman for the Syrian Kurdish militia known as the People's Protection Unit or YPG – the main component of the SDF – said that "intense fighting" is still ongoing in small parts of Hajin.

The area was home to about 15,000 people, including 2,000 IS militants who reacted with counter-offensives and suicide attacks. In recent days, hundreds of civilians were able to flee the enclave to areas controlled by the SDF east of the Euphrates River and government-controlled regions on the west bank of the river.

The Syrian Democratic Council, the political wing of the SDF, denounced Turkey's threat of a military operation against the YPG and called on Syrians of all ethnic and religious groups to unite before a possible Turkish attack.

Meanwhile, Turkish President Recep Tayyip Erdogan has stepped up his criticism of US support for Syrian Kurdish fighters, saying on Friday that Turkey would clean up the important town of Manbij in the north of the country. Over the summer, NATO's two allies made a "road map" for Manbij to remove YPG, which Turkey considers a terrorist organization linked to an insurgency within its own borders.

Erdogan argued that the United States did not live up to its promises to push the YPG east of the Euphrates River.

December 14, 2018 / 5:39 am | Story:

A 7-year-old girl who crossed the US-Mexico border with her father last week died after being taken into custody by the US Border Patrol, federal immigration officials confirmed on Thursday.

The Washington Post reports that the girl died of dehydration and shock more than eight hours after being arrested by agents near Lordsburg, New Mexico. The girl was from Guatemala and was traveling with a group of 163 people who approached agents to surrender on December 6.

It is unknown what happened to the girl during the eight hours before she started having seizures and was flown to a hospital in El Paso.

In a statement, Customs and Border Protection said the girl did not eat or drink water for several days.

The agency did not provide the Associated Press with the statement it gave the Post, despite repeated requests.

Processing 163 immigrants in one night could pose challenges for the agency, whose detention facilities are temporary and generally do not fit these people.

When a Border Patrol agent arrests someone, that person is sued at a facility, but usually does not spend more than 72 hours in custody before being transferred to Immigration and Customs Enforcement or, if Mexican, promptly deported home.

The girl's death raises questions about whether the border officers knew she was ill and whether she was fed anything or given anything to drink during the more than eight hours she was in custody.

Immigrants, lawyers and activists have long raised questions about the conditions of Border Patrol detention cells. In Tucson, an ongoing process states that retention cells are filthy, extremely cold and without basic necessities such as blankets. A judge overseeing the case ordered the Tucson Sector, which patrols most of the border between Arizona and Mexico, to provide blankets and sleeping mats and continually deliver surveillance images from inside the cells.

The Border Patrol has seen a growing trend of large groups of immigrants, many with young children, walking up to agents and surrendering. Most are from Central America and say they are fleeing violence. They surrender instead of trying to circumvent the authorities, many with plans to apply for asylum.

December 14, 2018 / 5:23 am | Story:

Father Jim Sichko has a congregation of 50 states and a simple mandate from the pope: go ahead and do good deeds.

That's why the Catholic priest found himself at the side of a popular Hollywood fast-food diner on a windy, rainy afternoon, buying lunch for everyone passing by. The next day, he would be at a Kentucky gas station, beating people's tanks. Then it would be to Arizona where he would go – well, he was not sure what he would do there, but he would think of something.

At a Starbucks last Christmas, he tipped each of the baristas for $ 100, after learning of the yearly mess about whether the Christmas cups in the coffee chain were enough to make the ends plummet.

Sichko is a papal missionary of mercy, a rarefied group of 700 from around the world, including several from the United States, who were named directly by Pope Francis in commemoration of a "Jubilee of Mercy" that began in December 2015 and since extended indefinitely.

The missionaries were assigned to travel the world spreading kindness, forgiveness, joy and mercy to all who encountered. Some have responded using their newly granted pope authority to perform confession and forgiveness of sins basically anywhere at any time. Others went to the radio waves or retreats to offer messages of joy.

Sichko, a Kentucky preacher, came up with a different idea from the others and got his bishop from the Diocese of Lexington to approve: he would travel across his country performing acts of kindness in all 50 states.

It provides supplies for half a year to a man with HIV and paid for medical services for a struggling Muslim family. This Christmas he is going to a primary school in Corbin, Kentucky, where more than a quarter of the population lives in poverty. There he will surprise the 100 students in the second grade of the school with new shiny bikes.

"The first question people ask is," Why are you doing this? "Sichko says, between bites of his double cheeseburger at the crowded restaurant In N'Eight, on the sidewalk Hollywood fame, where he had just bought lunch for everyone.

"My question," the 51-year-old bald cleric adds with a smile, "is why not?

"My approach is not so much to speak about the word of God, although I do much of this, but showing the presence of God through acts of kindness that kind of shock the individual and type of cause, maybe cause them to stop for a little ", he said. "Or maybe, what I hope, bring kindness back to others."

He is frank in saying that the church itself has a lot of work to do to restore its image after years of sexual and pedophile scandals it calls "horrible, tragic and disgusting."

December 14, 2018 / 5:23 am | Story:

They call it a "young miracle." A baby who was admitted to an Ebola treatment center only six days after birth is now recovered from the virus.

Congo's Ministry of Health calls the baby the youngest survivor in what is now the second most deadly Ebola outbreak in the world.

On Thursday, the ministry tweeted a picture of the child, bandaged and with a small mouth open in yawns or bursts, surrounded by caretakers who watched her 24 hours a day for weeks.

The baby's mother, who had Ebola, died in childbirth, the ministry said.

The child was discharged from the treatment center in Beni on Wednesday. "She went home in the arms of her father and her aunt," the ministry said.

Experts have reported a worryingly high number of children with Ebola in this outbreak, which the Congo Health Ministry says has now 515 cases, 467 of them confirmed, including 255 confirmed deaths.

The little survivor is called Benedicte. In video footage shared by UNICEF, it is shown in an isolated treatment area, wrapped in the arms of health professionals in protective gear or hugged by survivors of Ebola, called "substantive", which can go without certain equipment as masks. Survivors are crucial with their reassuring presence, the Health Ministry said.

"This is my first child," says her father, Thomas. "I really do not want to lose her. She's my hope." He looks at the daughter through the transparent protective plastic.

Children now account for more than a third of all cases of this outbreak, UNICEF said earlier this week. One in 10 cases of Ebola is in a child under five, he said, and children who get hemorrhagic fever are at greater risk of dying than adults.

Although Ebola typically infects adults, as they are more likely to be exposed to the lethal virus, children have been known in some cases to catch the disease when they act as caregivers.

December 14, 2018 / 5:21 am | Story:

Shaken and facing a prison sentence, President Trump's personal lawyer said on Friday that Trump had him buy the silence of two women during the 2016 campaign because he was worried about how his stories of alleged deals "would affect the election" .

Michael Cohen – who for more than a decade was a major player in the Trump Organization and a contributor to Trump's political life – said he "gave loyalty to someone who does not really deserve loyalty." Cohen spoke in an ABC interview that aired Friday in "Good Morning America."

Speaking with ABC's George Stephanopoulos, Cohen seemed shaken by the series of events that quickly took him as Trump's "fixer" to a man facing three years in prison.

"I finished the lie," Cohen said. "I've just been loyal to President Trump."

He added, "I will not be the villain of this story."

Cohen was sentenced on Wednesday to three years in federal prison. He pleaded guilty to several counts, including campaign finance violations and lies to Congress. Prosecutors said Trump led Cohen to arrange payments to buy the silence of porn star Stormy Daniels and former Playboy model Karen McDougal in the run-up to the 2016 campaign.

Asked if the president also knew it was wrong to make the payments, Cohen said, "Of course." But Cohen did not provide any specific evidence or detail in the interview, except to say that Trump "directed me to make the payments, he directed me to get involved in these matters."

Trump has denied that he has led Cohen to break the law and said in a barrage of tweets in recent weeks that Cohen is a "liar" who has made a deal to get a reduced prison sentence.

"He knows the truth, I know the truth, others know the truth," Cohen said. "And here's the truth: the people of the United States, the people of the world, do not believe what he's saying, man does not tell the truth, and it's sad that I should take responsibility for his filth." acts. "

In another case, Cohen pleaded guilty to lying to Congress about his work on a possible Trump real estate project in Moscow and said he did it to be consistent with Trump's "political messages."

The charges in that case were brought by the office of special lawyer Robert Mueller and Mueller's prosecutors said Cohen provided important information in his investigations. Cohen said he continues to cooperate with investigators.

December 13, 2018 / 5:10 p.m. | Story:

The Boy Scouts of America diverted questions about a report suggesting they are considering seeking protection from bankruptcy, even though the head of the organization has said he is exploring "all options" while trying to stay afloat while facing sexual abuse and Member States.

"I want to assure you that our daily mission will continue and that there are no imminent actions or immediate decisions expected," Scout Chief Mike Surbaugh said in a statement released late Wednesday.

Surbaugh was responding to a Wall Street Journal report that the BSA, founded in 1910, had hired a law firm to assist in a possible Chapter 11 bankruptcy filing. He described the report as "speculation of news," but acknowledged that the group is "working with experts to explore all available options" as well as the pressures arising from various cases related to previous cases of sexual abuse.

"We have a social and moral responsibility to fairly compensate victims who have been abused over time in Scouting, and we also have an obligation to fulfill our mission to serve young people, families and local communities through our programs," Surbaugh said.

Other institutions facing multifaceted sexual abuse scandals have sought protection from bankruptcy recently. The USA Gymnastics took the step last week trying to solve dozens of lawsuits related to abuses committed by then-fitness gymnast Larry Nassar. About 20 Roman Catholic dioceses and other religious orders across the country have filed for bankruptcy as a result of allegations of sexual abuse of clerics.

Surbaugh apologized on behalf of the BSA to those who were mistreated during their time in the Boy Scouts.

"We always take care of the victims – we believe in them, we believe in compensating them fairly and we pay for unlimited counseling by a provider of their choice, regardless of the amount of time they have spent since an abuse." he said. "Throughout our history, we have taken proactive measures to help victims heal and prevent future abuse."

In addition to abuse-related litigation, Boy Scouts attempt to reverse a decline in participation. The current youth participation of the organizations is about 2.3 million, down from 2.6 million in 2013 and more than 4 million in the peak years of the past.

In a big step towards revitalization, the BSA is moving to open all its programs for girls, but even this caused problems.

Last month, Girl Scouts in the United States filed a trademark infringement suit against the BSA for dropping the word "boy" from their main show in an effort to attract girls.

This process was in response to the BSA's decision to rename its program for youth ages 11-17; he will be called the BSA Scouts instead of the Boy Scouts, although the parent organization will remain as the Boy Scouts of America.

Paul Mones, a Los Angeles lawyer who has already prosecuted many sexual assault cases against the BSA, said the organization has assets of more than $ 1 billion but is under increasing litigation pressure as public awareness of abuse increases sexual.

Mones was co-counsel in a 2010 sexual assault case in Portland, Oregon that led to a nearly $ 20 million trial against the BSA on behalf of a man molested by a Boy Scout leader in the 1980s. As a result of this In that case, the Oregon Supreme Court ordered the BSA to disclose previously confidential files about suspected abusers.

December 13, 2018 / 1:35 p.m. | Story:

UPDATE 1:35 p.m.

A senior French official said a man was killed in a shootout with police in Strasbourg but he was not confirmed as suspected of being a sniper who killed three people near a Christmas market.

The official, who could not be identified because the operation was in progress, said the dead man opened fire on the police on Thursday night and the police shot him back, killing him.

A local police officer, who also spoke on condition of anonymity for the same reason, said the man who opened fire was armed with a pistol and a knife.

The shooting took place in the Neudorf quarter of Strasbourg, where police searched intensively on Thursday for Cherif Chekatt, a 29-year-old suspected of being the shooter in the Christmas market.

Chekatt is accused of killing three people and injured 13 on Tuesday night. More than 700 police were sent to find Chekatt, who had a long criminal record and had been accused of extremism, government spokesman Benjamin Griveaux told CNews.

Asked about the instructions they received, Griveaux said that the focus was to get Chekatt "as fast as possible", dead or alive, and "put an end to the persecution."

Security forces, including the elite Raid squad, spent two hours searching for Neudorf on Thursday based on "only assumption" that Chekatt could be hiding in a nearby building two days after the attack, a French police official said. Chekatt grew up in Neudorf.


French security forces tried to capture the suspect in Strasbourg, alive or dead, an official said on Thursday, two days after an attack near the city's Christmas market.

Local authorities, meanwhile, have raised the death toll to three. The attack wounded 13 others, including five in serious condition, the Strasbourg city hall said.

Cherif Chekatt, 29, who has been accused of extremism, has been targeted by more than 700 police, government spokesman Benjamin Griveaux told CNews.

Prosecutors opened a terrorist investigation into Tuesday's attack.

Police distributed a photo of Chekatt, who was injured in a gunshot exchange with the security forces, with the caveat: "Dangerous individuals, above all, do not intervene."

The government has raised the level of anti-terrorism alert across the country and has sent more than 1,800 troops across France to help patrol the streets and ensure crowded events.

More news from the world


Source link