The public health authority in Montreal is trying to locate anyone in one of six places, most of them in West Island in Montreal last week, as they may have been exposed to the measles virus.
Dr. Mylène Drouin, director of public health in the Montreal region, said the investigation is linked to two new cases of measles linked to another case that the public health authority learned on May 2.
Drouin estimates that 200 people may have been exposed to a measles-contaminated person over a three-day period – 11, 12 and 14 May.
"Each case of measles is an outbreak for us because we have to disrupt the chain of transmission," Drouin told reporters late Thursday.
Places where people may have been exposed to the virus are:
- Des Sources High School, 2900 Lake Street, on May 11, from 12:00 to 13:05 h.
- Tim Hortons, 3760 Sources Boulevard, on May 11, between 12:25 and 13:35 p.m.
- Royal Bank, 4400 Sources Boulevard, on May 11, from 12:15 p.m. to 1:25 p.m.
- Manju Beauté, a beauty salon, 3637 Sources Boulevard, on May 11, between two in the afternoon. It's 5 pm
- The Courtyard Marriott Hotel, 7000 Robert-Joncas places in Saint-Laurent, on May 12, from 3pm. and 17:30
- Creche Les Aventuriers at 196 Bates Road, Outremont, on May 14, from 4:30 p.m. to 5:35 p.m.
These last cases raise the number of measles cases recorded in Montreal this year to seven. Drouin said these last two cases mark the first time in 2019 that the highly contagious virus has spread from one person to another.
More to come.