Messi admitted to being frustrated with the performance of Argentina in this Copa America and said that "today does not win more with the shirt" in football.
Following the defeat to Colombia in their debut and draw with Paraguay on Wednesday, Messi said the Argentine national team is still in search of a team:
"The truth is, it's a bit frustrating not to get the win we need. We knew it was going to be difficult, we were looking for a team, to keep growing. We have to win the last one to qualify, "he said.
"We knew it was not going to be easy. We are in search of a team, it is a moment of change. It is not easy to play the Copa America. Brazil equalized with Venezuela. Today we do not win more with the shirt, each time is more balanced – completed the shirt 10.
Messi scored against Paraguay, but Argentina was in the tie in 1 to 1 – Photo: André Durão
In the Group B flashlight, Argentina faces Qatar on Sunday at the Grêmio Arena. Even if he wins, the national team will be third in the group if Paraguay defeats Colombia.
"There's no time, it's a game, it's up to us, we have to win a group game if we want to qualify," he said.
– It's a match we played in the standings. It would be crazy if we did not go through a group of three. We are going through a complicated but confident moment that we can win.
For Messi, the stumbling blocks have reached the limit, and Argentina is forced to win from Qatar in the last round in Porto Alegre.
– Of course yes. We played two games, we did not win any. To pass the group stage, we have to win yes or yes.
The shirt 10 was the author of the Argentine goal in the tie with Paraguay, converting penalty. It was his first goal in this Copa America.
– We could not win a match, today it was clear to us that we needed to win to stay calm. But we have to think positive, have confidence. If he had not made the penalty, we were pretty much out of options. It is improving to get the best possible against Qatar – opined.
Asked about the players' conversation with coach Lionel Scaloni in training last Tuesday, he said it was a positive chat for the best of the team.
See below other declarations of the Argentine star:
– We are in a complicated situation, with a lot of young people, who never went through this moment. We have to get up quickly and think it's up to us. We have to win from Qatar to qualify. If I did not score the penalty, it would be different. Let's try to keep improving to get the best way to the last match.
– This group is very united, very strong, that has much desire and much desire to win, but it is a phase. We are looking for a team, to grow as a group. We knew we were going through those moments, because it's not easy to play. Venezuela also complicated Brazil, staying behind and going on the counterattack. Now you have to do things very well to do the three points.
Messi during the match against Paraguay – Photo: André Durão
"We did not think it would be that way, that winning at the beginning was key to being calmer. But well, we thought that if we did not score the penalty goal, we would be practically eliminated and it would be complicated. It is trying to recover fast to get balance and win the last match.
Play with Aguero and Lautaro Martínez
– It was an important moment, a moment that we managed to tie, when we had the feeling we were creating and that we were close to getting the turn, but it is true that also after they achieved balance, we had more midfield, but we ended up leaving a lot space behind. But we will try to strike the balance so we can play better from now on.
Importance to win in Mineirão
– We have to win the last match, winning we are ranked. Regrettably, it did not happen that we expected, we knew that it was good for our spirit, to win this match, because it was fundamental for us the tranquility. It did not happen, now we have to think about the other match.