Wet the nose and the amoebas ate the brain – ElSol.com.ar – Diario de Mendoza, Argentina


A group of doctors revealed the shocking case of an American woman who died after irrigating her breasts with tap water. According to the scientists, the water contained amoebas that, once in the patient's body, began to slowly devour the brain cells.

The 69-year-old woman, who lives in Seattle, Wash., Left doctors perplexed last January when she was hospitalized after a seizure. After examining a computed tomography of his brain, the doctors thought he had a tumor and decided to operate it the next day. However, an examination of the tissue removed from the brain during surgery showed that its problem was not related to a tumor.

"When I operated this lady, a part of his brain the size of a golf ball was full of blood"Charles Cobbs, neurosurgeon at Swedish Medical Center, said in a telephone interview with the Seattle Times. He was infested with amoebae that they did nothing but eat brain cells. We had no idea what was happening, but when we got the real fabric, we could see it was the amoeba, "he specified.

Despite the doctors' efforts, the woman died a month after the operation.

As the doctors explain, the patient was infected with amoebas present in tap water. Instead of filling the pot with salty or sterile water, he used filtered tap water with a standard water filter. The nasal cavity was then irrigated with contaminated water, which came into contact with the olfactory nerves in the upper part of the cavity, causing a brain infection called granulomatous amoebic encephalitis (GAS).

After contracting the amoebas, the woman developed a red wound on her nose that was diagnosed and treated in the wrong way as a skin condition commonly known as rosacea. Cobbs points out that this was probably the first symptom of the amoeba's presence, but adds that its rarity makes a rapid diagnosis difficult.

According to a study published in the journal Clinical Infectious Diseases, amoebas are single-celled organisms, some of which can cause disease, scientists explain. They proliferate in soils and warm waters, usually in South and Central America.


Source link