They created a test that detects the cancer in 10 minutes


According to the World Health Organization (WHO), about nine million people die of cancer each year in the world, many of these cases due to late detection and therefore less time to fight and overcome the mutation of the disease. cells

Now from Australia, scientists at the University of Queensland have developed a test to detect cancer cells and make an initial rapid diagnosis in just 10 minutes.

The tool, which is still in the early stages of development, can not identify the specific type of cancer present or measure the severity of the disease, but promises to be a test for any type of cancer that will give its results in a very short time.

In the study published in the journal Nature Communications, the researchers found that, through differences in DNA, it was possible to detect abnormalities in cancer cells, especially between those that are undamaged and undamaged.

This is possible because human cells contain DNA that carries modifications that occur during the methylation process and that is where experts have discovered that the genomic information of cancer cells is different from healthy cells.

DNA fragments of cancer submerged in water bend into three-dimensional structures. Based on this, the researchers developed a test based on the unique behavior of DNA and the properties of an unexpected ingredient: gold particles.

To assess the presence of cancer, the team added DNA samples to the water containing gold nanoparticles that turned the water into a pink liquid. When the DNA of the cancer cells mixed with the water, it remained pink. But when DNA was added from healthy cells, a divergent form of particle binding made the water turn blue. This is: pink, cancer; blue, absence of cancer.

This technology, then, could eventually make diagnostic tests more accessible and faster, avoiding the need for invasive tissue biopsies. According to Matt Cou, one of the people responsible for the study explains:

Of course, we still do not know if it's the Holy Grail for all cancer diagnoses. But it does look really interesting as an incredibly simple universal cancer marker, and as an affordable device and inexpensive technology that does not require complex laboratory equipment such as DNA sequencing.

The test was performed with 103 human DNA samples, of which 72 belonged to people with cancer and 31 were from healthy individuals. The test has a sensitivity of approximately 90%, which means it is able to detect about 90 in every 100 cases. While the remaining 10% would be false positives.

This mechanism will not yet be available in hospitals and medical centers in the coming months, but it should be said that it is an interesting advance to have early detection of cancer. Also as soon as it is usable, it will be easily accessible to remote locations where they do not have enough equipment to make the diagnoses and of course so that doctors can later use the positive results on more specific farms.


Source link