Sunday , June 20 2021

A Seattle woman died using tap water to wash herself




Seattle – A woman living in Seattle died of an unusual amoebas infection in the brain, caused when she tried to wash her nostrils with tap water, doctors said.

The 69-year-old woman died in February after having a brain operation at the Swedish Medical Center. Her doctor told the Seattle Times that "there were amoebas everywhere, eating her brain."

According to a study published in the International Journal of Infectious Diseases, doctors believe the woman was infected when she used tap water to flush the nostrils.

Specialists recommend using only distilled or sterilized water to sanitize the nasal cavities. Tap water may contain microscopic organisms that can be drunk but can survive in the nostrils.

This type of infection is extremely uncommon. There were only three cases in the United States between 2008 and 2017.


Source link