Friday , February 26 2021

I did nothing wrong – the deputy finance minister insists amid a storm of denunciations



Deputy Finance Minister and chairman of the Public Investment Corporation, Mondli Gungubele, said on Wednesday that he welcomed an investigation into the allegations against him contained in an email by a whistleblower since he did nothing wrong.

Earlier in the day, the board of the state asset manager announced that it would investigate "allegations of impropriety" against its acting executive director and two non-executive directors.

The PIC did not name the two non-executive directors at the time. In releasing the statement, Gungubele confirmed that he was one of the non-executive directors.

"I took note of the decision of my board of directors to investigate the allegations against me contained in an email circulated this week by a whistleblower," Gungubele said in a statement released by the Ministry of Finance on the afternoon of Wednesday. I welcome the opportunity to clarify this matter once and for all. However, I'm confident that I did not do anything wrong. "

The PIC, however, said the decision to investigate the three council members was taken at a special meeting on Tuesday night, which was chaired by Vice President Dr. Xolani Mkhwanazi. The three members in question were refused.

"At the meeting, it was decided to immediately conduct a forensic investigation into these allegations. The board will hire the services of an experienced senior consultant to assist the board with such investigation," the board said in a previous statement.


Source link