Sunday , June 20 2021

Former Transnet CEO Brian Molefe denies allegations of corruption



Transnet president Popo Molefe says there is evidence of maladministration and corruption under Brian Molefe.

ARCHIVE: Brian Molefe hears questions during a press conference at Eskom's headquarters in Johannesburg on November 4, 2016. Photo: EWN

JOHANNESBURG – Former Transnet CEO Brian Molefe has rejected claims that he harmed the parastatal when he was in charge.

A new board was appointed in May last year led by Transnet's current president, Popo Molefe, to reclaim millions allegedly looted by Gupta's allies in executive management positions.

The company has instituted legal measures to recover the estimated R1.3 billion in stolen funds.

The council president revealed that the parastatal was the first to be targeted for state capture. He says some executives were professional thieves and went to work just to plunder the company.

"We are increasingly beginning to understand the scale of the theft and abuse of public resources. The clutches of this corruption have been deep, these roots are so deep that we do not know how long we will take them. "

The Transnet president says there is evidence of mismanagement and corruption under Molefe's command, but Molefe says he has done nothing wrong.

"I thought it was a bit regrettable that he would talk about these calls because we are still going to respond to them in an appropriate forum so that our side of the story can also be heard. My advice to Transnet is to focus on the business plan.

Additional reporting by Mia Lindeque.

(Edited by Thapelo Lekabe)


Source link